Criminal Checks

Hi!

We have recently implemented a new screening company - ADP BackCheck or Stirling Talent Solutions and I wanted to find out if it is normal that we as the employer need to verify the documents first in order for the criminal check to be carried out? I thought the whole purpose of using a screening company is that we wouldn't have to do this and need to see proof or originals of their documents prior to their start date seems odd to me. That we would need them to come to the office to pass these originals to us before the screening can be carried out?

We usually retrieve passports on their first day and therefore I wanted to see if this is best practice these days or if this has changed now and it is common for new hires to make a trip to the office with their original supporting documents for criminal checks?

Your help will be greatly appreciated!

• i have to admit that everywhere i have worked, we have had to verify the documents and then send them onto the company to carry out the DBS check. The purpose of those organisations is that they can actually carry out the criminal records check. I don't think that normally, the organisation itself would have access to that information - how did you carry that out previously?
  • In reply to Teresa:

Hi Teresa

We used to use a screening company called HireRight and were never asked to verify the documents, this is why I am not certain, however is it normal then for the new hire to come to the office prior to their start date to specifically provide these documents? I just want make sure we carry out the correct procedure and so far your help is greatly appreciated!