Recruitment exercises for multiple vacancies

Hello,

We are about to embark on a recruitment exercise to fill various posts within the Early Years sector. Last year, when we undertook this process for our initial phase, it resulted in a number of potential candidates applying for a range of posts at different levels. As per normal practice, interviews were carried out per "post" which resulted in a number of candidates being interviewed multiple times for each post they applied for. This time round, i am looking for a more effective way of managing the recruitment process, which would mean that if a candidate did apply for multiple posts, they would only be interviewed once and there suitability for each post would be considered.

There are obviously differening essential/desirable criteria for each post. Initially i thought i could develop a scoring mechanism for each candidate, however it is proving to be very lengthy as the criteria is different for each post, it has become quite complex and i am struggling to see how it would work in practice.

Does anyone have any experience of a scoring matrix and how it worked against multiple vacancies with varying requirements? Or does anyone else have any ideas on how the recruitment could be carried out more effectively this time round?

Any advice greatfully received!

• You could do what I believe the Civil Service does and interview people for a particular level of post, then decide where they fit. But that still means you will have to interview them multiple times for different levels.

Or you could interview everyone for the highest level post they've applied for; and if they don't meet the requirements then assess them downwards for lower level posts.
  • In the past I've held a selection day/days, involving a number of different roles, with different leads responsible for assessments against different job competencies. The candidates had a complex programme of assessments through the day, and at the end of it we could work out where they'd best be placed, and where they might not have enough experience or the right skills.

While it involved a lot of our staff, it was quite an efficient way to create a pipeline of pre-approved people we could appoint to different roles as they came up.

The key for us was in having one or at most two interviews, but a number of different practical assessments - so the interview questions could relate to all of the roles in question, but the specific assessments were much more tailored. Quite happy to talk off line if that's helpful, but it was in quite a specific industry so not too similar to early years.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Thank you both, you have given me lots to think about!

Much appreciated.