Workplace Electric Vehicle charge points

Hi All

I work for an SME and we currently have 2-3 electric vehicles on fleet.  We would like to start looking at options for providing chargers, but this leads to the question of policy around payment for employees. 

Has anyone started looking at this in terms of whether you charge employees, whether it's FOC, how you deal with mileage, etc?  Would appreciate feedback.

Thanks, Karen

• Hi Karen

I would see this as part of a larger policy on managing your environmental impact. You need to establish the company position before you look at options.

If you want to encourage the use of electric cars, then you might consider providing chargers on site. If the EVs are owned by the business and you allow employees to charge without reimbursing you, it is not a taxable benefit even if they also use the cars for personal mileage:

www.gov.uk/expenses-and-benefits-electric-company-cars.

I'd have a look at the costs first and this will be affected by battery size and mileage. If, for the purposes of argument, it costs about £7 to charge a battery up to a 225 mile range and the car only needs to be charged twice a week, you are looking at £2,184 for 3 cars, which is not a lot on your CSR budget. However, what about staff still driving ICEs - will they feel disadvantaged? Are you planning to convert the rest of the fleet to EVs? Will you allow employees who have their own EVs to charge them at work? This would be a taxable benefit.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

16 Oct, 2018 16:32

In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Great post, Elizabeth Divver