Dog bite in the workplace

Hi everyone,

This is a strange one, possibly a first!?

I am a HR manager for a small domiciliary care company. I am currently in week 19 of my 26 week probationary period.

I have not had any reviews with my line manager, the Business Development Director (BDD) or the registered manager/owner. I have asked for an informal review around week 12 but was told 'it is too busy'. It is worth noting that the registered manager is the mother of the BDD.

Occasionally, staff have been allowed to bring their dogs into work, which I generally don't have a problem with. This can be up to 1 week at a time depending on individuals. Last week, the BDD dropped his 3 dogs off at the office before going on annual leave. The registered manager was looking after them. One of the dogs, a small terrier type, is the typical small barking/snappy dog that you sometimes come across. On previous occasions, this dog has barked at me, suggesting that it doesn't like me, Indeed, the registered manager has told me that 'he dislikes men'.

On Tuesday, around 9am, I needed to speak with the registered manager in her upstairs office. As I was talking, the small dog was around my ankles barking. When finished, I turned to leave the office and the dog leapt at my leg and bit it, drawing a little blood. I shouted out with the pain and swore several times. The registered manager picked the dog up and I left the office. The whole situation was witnessed by one of the care managers.

I was in shock for a while and a bit shaky, but other than that I was ok. I'm not claiming that I'm now terrified of dogs or anything, in fact, I'm fine with them so no lasting effects other than a sore, cut leg and bruising. I stayed downstairs for the rest of the week, communicating by email or telephone when necessary.

My issue is (other than being bit whilst at work) the registered manager/owner didn't come to see me to see if I was ok or to apologise. This continued until Friday. The dogs weren't in the office at all, so I went to see the registered manager. I asked her at what point is it ok to come to work and be bitten by a dog and that I was upset that, as a bare minimum, she hadn't apologised. Basically, she told me to stop being melodramatic, it was only a small dog and that I was making something out of nothing. I remained calm throughout the conversation, but told her that I disagreed. I showed her my leg which was still bruised and marked. She said it was nothing and to stop moaning. She then went straight into telling me how unpopular I am in the office, with only her and the BDD wanting me to there. There were other allegations too, which felt like a knee jerk reaction to me criticising her lack of response to the dog bite.

To say that I am astonished at her reaction is a massive understatement and, quite frankly am at a loss as to how to deal with this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Yes, definitely agree with Elizabeth. Please keep us updated - at the moment it feels like one of those TV police dramas that's reached a critical point in the story ... then stopped for two weeks because of Wimbledon!
  • Paging Steve Bridger to perhaps change the title of this thread, as it's really about how to manage cultural conflict with an unpliable senior management team than it is about dog bites.
  • In reply to Robey:

But Dog Bites is a much more interesting title :-)

And its holiday season so think Steve is away
  • In reply to Keith:

'Dog Bites Ant' ??
  • In reply to Robey:

Steve's away on hols at the moment so I'm taking care of things - I agree with Keith, dog bite is more interesting and not completely unrelated so I'll leave it as it is for now :)
  • In reply to Teresa:

Hi all,
    Just an update to proceedings following my dog bite incident.

The dog belonged to the business Development Director (BDD) and when he returned from annual leave, he apologised profusely. He seemed genuinely upset that his dog had dome this and promised me that no dogs will be allowed into the office again., which is a shame because well behaved dogs are a pleasure.

After handing him my grievance letter, he said that a full investigation into the incident would take place in addition to my probation review.

Later that week, he gave me a letter from the managing director (his mum) which was acknowledgement that the incident took place, she was standing less than 10' away at the time, alongside a witness, so would be hard pressed to deny it, and an apology. I told the BDD that I accepted the apology but 1. it would have been nice if it was more timely, ie on the day of the incident and 2. in person. he explained that his mum didn't want to tell me in person as I had made her feel threatened.
    At this point I wanted to use inappropriate terminology, but managed to keep my cool and ask exactly what I'd done to make her feel this way. He said that when I confronted her about her lack of care and compassion, I had used a tone of voice that intimidated her. I left it at that as he has promised me the investigation is ongoing into her comments regarding no-one wanting me working here and other allegations. My probation review will also be completed within the next 7 days, although as I type it is day 6.

So I wait, wondering how a managing director can possibly work with a HR manager that she feels threatened by. The final meeting/probation review will be an interesting conversation, I'm sure.

Needless to say, I submitted am application for a HRBP role on Tuesday.......
  • In reply to Ant:

Hi Ant,

Thanks so much for the update!

I'm not sure whether to congratulate or commiserate ... so take your pick, either way it's my heartfelt 'Co...tions' :)
  • In reply to Ant:

Ant - you have your apology. The BDD appears to be genuine and sincere. It appears to be time to move on from this incident (and the organisation but that's up to you).

You do appear to want something more from them rather than just the apology and the contrite BDD ....yes they apologised but you wanted it in person and at a certain point etc...

Life isn't always like that
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

20 Aug, 2018 17:02

In reply to Ant:

I've been away for a couple of weeks but have now read through the whole thread.

Firstly... 

The CIPD community have really helped me with this and I shall be discussing the worth of this forum with my HR associates.

Always good to hear, Ant. I'm pleased to see you received a belated apology.

Re Robey's suggestion to change the title of the tread, I appended 'in the workplace' but kept the 'dog bite' bit. I did that before seeing Amy's justification for keeping it as it is. I'd have chosen to do the same :)

2,000+ views on this thread.