Reputational damage and suspension

I would be interested in your opinions on the following scenario….

Colleagues have represented the organisation at an event and stayed at the venue for the evening afterwards.

Over dinner (and alcohol) the 3 colleagues were discussing work and the 2 more senior colleagues began to bad mouth individuals from all levels across the organisation and the organisation itself.

The junior colleague (who has only been in a post a month or two) felt quite uncomfortable with this and informed her line manager the following morning that she felt this was inappropriate behaviour. She also reported that a senior job holder from another organisation we partner with was at a nearby table and overheard the discussion. He approached the table and asked them where they worked, which they told him.

The manager wants to undertake a full investigation and potential disciplinary (reputational damage) and is considering whether suspension would be appropriate whilst the investigation takes place.

We have anecdotal evidence to suggest this is not the first time this has happened though until this point no one has been willing to come forward formally to report it.

The colleagues work in a very small satellite office where they would be in close contact with each other (manager is based at head office). The concern is that this would create an intimidating environment for the junior colleague.

I have asked them to consider whether there is an option to work from home rather than suspend, but they don’t feel this would be appropriate. They think the potential reputational damage caused means it would be better to suspend whilst they investigate.

The manager is also contemplating suspending the junior colleague not for wrongdoing but to protect them from the situation (My suggestion was not to suspend but offer them paid holiday)

I would be interested to hear your views on whether you would deal with this informally or undertake a full investigation and potential disciplinary, and how you would approach the possible suspension?

Happy to hear your thoughts!

Ps my apologies for the use of the word junior – it’s not a reflection on age but length of time in post.

Thank you

• This is unlikely to lead to dismissal (unless the comments were so outrageous etc) so suspension seems over the top to me. In most organisations this would lead to a very severe word and to tell them to stop being so stupid.

Suspension whilst at face value a neutral act is unlikely to be seen as such by anyone.

What are you hoping to achieve from this process? A team that can work together professionally and understand boundaries or a car crash of a regional office?
  • In reply to Keith:

Thanks Keith.
    I think unfortunately there has been a trail of similar incidents in the past (no not overheard by an external partner) that a different manager has failed to deal with, and the current manager wants to seize on this opportunity to make an example.
    I have advised against suspension, as I think it’s an overreaction, which the manager is now mulling over (we have a few days leeway as the staff members are now on pre-planned leave).
  • In reply to Rhianon Jones:

But overreacting is no way to set an example - it actually confuses and looks weaker. (and the fact that this is quite common makes any disciplinary case harder to be forceful)

You don't need to suspend, it serves very little real purpose and as this is unlikely to lead to dismissal its simply marching the troops to the top of the hill before you have to march them all back down again. You already (I assume) have a statement from the "junior" member of staff about what happened, short of talking to the two others involved there is little else to investigate.

Suspending the "junior" colleague is a stupid idea and even offering paid time off is I think sending the wrong signal.

Use this occasion to draw a clear line about what is acceptable and what isn't. Give them a very stiff talking to. Publish any new guidelines necessary and then move on would be my approach.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

21 Jun, 2018 15:27

In reply to Keith:

This is such good advice, Keith (IMHO).
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Recall many years ago during Cold War era a colleague visiting Moscow and imbibing far too much vodka and unwisely attaching himself to a couple of far from respectable Russian ladies, such that he ended up at bedtime stark naked going up and down (floors) in the hotel lift - much to the dismay of his onlooking colleagues.

He was given a very very stern 'informal oral warning' and told in no uncertain terms that any future escapades could result in gross misconduct dismissal - he didn't do anything like that again, so, given that disciplinary action should aim to modify future behaviour rather than punish / extract retribution, this course of action worked fine.
  • I very much agree with Keith in relation to potentially disciplining the Junior colleague - at best all that does is guarantee that if anyone in the organisation sees any misdemeanor at all, they will never report it no matter how serious.

At worst, you end up with a Whistleblowing claim. They need to thank this person for bringing it to their attention - not disciplining them.

The only other thing i would say is that the organisation needs to be very careful about hanging too much weight on 'potential' reputational damage. There is caselaw to say that there has to be 'actual' reputational damage