Allowance for Home-based employees

Dear colleagues,

There are threads in the forum about Home-based employees, but none address how much companies are reimbursing these employees. I need actual values.

We just closed our office in London and everyone there will be permanently based at home. By UK law, and per good practice, we want to give an allowance to employees to compensate for the high speed broadband they need, for the extra water and electricity consumption, etc.

Of course we have provided the office equipment needed, but we need to compensate employees for these extra expenses they are incurring in. The tax free compensation, as per UK law, is only 4£ per week or 18£ per month, which we do not think its reasonable. Anything extra will be treated as an earning, but we believe we should be providing an actual allowance.

My question is: how much are you paying in your company? What is the market average for such an allowance in London or the UK?

Thank you so much.

Kindest Regards,

Andreia de Melo Cabral

• I must admit that i've never worked anywhere that has given employees an allowance for working at home. The reason being that the additional costs of heating, lighting etc, are much less than the cost of commuting to work e.g. running a car, parking, fuel, being able to prepare food at home, compared to buying coffee/lunch near the office etc so the employees are nearly always much better off financially without any additional allowance.

Clearly your situation is different as it is a redundancy situation and you want people to accept working from home as an alternative to leaving and taking a redundancy payment.

I don't think you will find a 'market rate' for home working as it will be so rare so really it will come down to how much you think you need to pay to get people to accept the alternative way of working. I guess the decision to close the office is to save costs, so whatever you pay, you would need to be careful that it didn't end up costing more than keeping the office open.
  • Andreia
    Preferential tax treatment of home working costs comes in two types.
    Firstly, fixed allowances of up to £18 per month, where no supporting proof of costs is required.
    Secondly, the reimbursement of additional costs that are specifically incurred to be able to work from home. Full receipts and proof that the additional cost is essential to be able to work from home. Any reimbursements of this kind will certainly be the subject of HMRC audit and checks. Examples could be the need for a printer, adding heating to an attic to use it exclusively for office purposes.