Home worker moving house

Hello

Apologies if this has been answered in previous conversations, I've searched but can't find anything

We have a home worker policy and checklists / agreements; however none of them mention what would happen if the home based, behavioral support worker who has to attend client sites, moves house, out of the area where the client lives. 

The move is from Somerset to somewhere in Wales (currently unspecified) our client is based in Somerset. so there would be additional travel time which would in turn reduce the number of hours actually worked due to the extended travel.

I understand that the travel time would be work time but my concerns are around minimizing cost to the business as we are a not for profit organisation.

So going forward I would like to add something to the policy and other documents which stipulate that if an employee moves house this is their choice to do so and that they could become liable for additional costs - Am i allowed to do this - I'd also like to say that drive time is to be split between them and the business again can i do this?

Does anyone have some wording I could use/adapt

many thanks for your time and assistance

regards

Karen.

• Hi - when I've worked in organisations that have field based roles, there has normally been a clause in the employment contract that says that the employee has to live within a certain area.

In cases where the employee wanted to move out of the area, if they did not have a role within the new area, we had sometimes agreed it, on the understanding that travel from their new address to the edge of the area they cover is not working time, nor the mileage claimable e.g. they an only claim working time and mileage from the point at which they reach the edge of the area (we did check this with HMRC and they did advise that for field based employees, they would class any travel from outside the area to the edge of the area as travelling to and from the normal place of work in terms of business mileage).

It is trickier if you don't have a clause in your contract or a policy, but i would probably have the conversation with the individual along those lines. Ultimately, if the distance is great and you are unable to come to an agreement with them which doesn't lead to unreasonable costs for the business and/or an inability of the business to deliver the service effectively, you could potentially be looking at a SOSR dismissal.
  • In reply to Teresa:

thank you Teresa this is really helpful.