Alcoholism at work

I’m looking for some advice about how best to manage alcoholism in the work place? Reports from teams members have indicated that alcohol can be smelt on one of their colleagues, there have been no concerns raised in regards to performance nor has sickness/ absence been a concern.However, the smell of alcohol remains a persistent concern. We want to be responsive to concerns however, unsure as to how to proceed fairly and sensitively.

Any advice?

• Hi Melanie,
    Assuming there's no policy in place for such matters (many businesses went down an alcohol and substance misuse policy process introduction in recent times) I would advise the person's line manager invite them in to a private room, point out the concern, entirely without judgement, and ask for their response.

A straightforward, chat.

The alcohol that people can smell, can absolutely be alcohol and the person might be under the influence at work. If they open up about this, then I'd suggest the company works alongside them, sympathetically but reasonably, to support them, explaining that it will never be acceptable to present for work under the influence irrespective of what might be driving that person to this position. At the same time, look to see what support you can offer them if they do have an alcohol issue. Occupational Health assistance and employee assistance programmes can include for this usually.

Additionally, the alcohol could have been from the evening before, and not consumed in large quantities either, but taking longer than most people to metabolise. I recall a case where an employee presented themselves for work smelling of alcohol and they openly admitted to having consumed 2 glasses of wine the evening before, which I suppose would not be over-indulgent by most people's consumption. This should have metabolised out of their system in time for work the next day, but it hadn't, hence the smell. They subsequently visited the GP, had tests and it was discovered they had liver/kidney issues which meant they were metabolising the alcohol at a much slower rate than most people.

Lastly, it might not be alcohol at all. It could be other things that have the same smell. Some medicines and health conditions can have this affect I believe.

I guess the key is not to jump to any conclusions, act swiftly, ask the employee about the matter privately, and be supportive yet reasonably in assisting them if they need it.

Hope this helps.
    Mark
  • In reply to Mark:

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your swift reply. So far we have been managing the situation in a supportive way. We've previously spoken to the individual who has indicated that a type of herbal medication causes the smell of alcohol. They’ve been open and cooperative on every occasion when concerns have been highlighted as well as offering to undergo alcohol/ drug testing.
    We don't have a specific policy in place; however the following exert is from the employee handbook.

‘You are expressly forbidden to consume alcohol or use drugs while on Company premises The effects of alcohol and drugs can be numerous:-(these are examples only and not an exhaustive list)
    a absenteeism (e.g. unauthorised absence, lateness, excessive levels of sickness, etc.)
    b higher accident levels (e.g. at work, elsewhere, driving to and from work)
    c work performance (e.g. difficulty in concentrating, tasks taking more time, making mistakes, etc.).
    If your performance or attendance at work is affected as a result of alcohol or drugs, or we believe you have been involved in any drug related action/offence, you may be subject to disciplinary action and, dependant on the circumstances this may lead to your dismissal.’

There have been no concerns raised in regards to the above; therefore it’s been difficult to take any further action. Our work environment involves the care of vulnerable adults; therefore there is a heightened degree of concern from colleagues.
  • In reply to Mark:

How do you know he is an alcoholic?
  • In reply to David Perry:

There are concerns that the person 'smells' of alcohol at work, however this doesn’t necessarily indicate that they are an alcoholic. I am looking for advice specific to the situation but also in a broader context and how best to manage alcoholism in the workplace. There clearly needs to be some policy development in this area as we have very little guidance in place at present.

Hi David - you've 'replied to' me so I wondered if you were responding to me or the question in general?

If to me, I've made no assumption that this person is an alcoholic.

Mark
  • Hi Melanie, if you can please do a quick search for historic threads on this topic as it does crop up from time to time. What David P alludes to - and I do agree with him - what is the evidence to support that this individual is an alcoholic? Sometimes this smell can also be an indicator of something else which is not alcohol-related so please do have a dig for historic discussions as well. :-)
  • In reply to Clare Marie:

Hi Clare,
    There are concerns that the person 'smells' of alcohol at work, however this doesn’t necessarily indicate that they are an alcoholic. This is however a recurrent an persist concern raised by colleagues. I am looking for advice specific to the situation but also in a broader context and how best to manage alcoholism in the workplace. Thank you for the advice I will take a look at other threads.
  • In reply to Mark:

Sorry Mark, My reply was of course directed to the OP, Melanie.
  • In reply to Melanie:

Then if you don't know whether they are an alcoholic, I think I'd treat it just the sameway you may deal with any other suspected drugs usage.

If someone comes into work smelling of alcohol, then they'll have it in their bloodstream, which may mean their ability to carry out their work may be impaired.

Do they drive?
    Does their work require precise calculations, skill and so on?
    Might they be a risk to others?
    Is the smell actually alcohol?

I'd really suggest having a private word and seeing what they say and take it from there. If you have further concerns you could always refer them to an OHP provider to ascertain more info. But so far.........

Just to observe that this thread seems to illustrate well the concept of 'reasonable belief' and its criticality / applicability.

Your policy, Melanie I think sounds about right, if possibly a little vague. Smelling strongly of alcohol in a customer or even client - facing role is potentially involving performance at work and requires full and proper and fair and sensitive further investigation. More than that, one cannot have any reasonable belief about, in the circumstances - but seem to be back where I first began, so will shut up now....

• In reply to Melanie:

"so far we have been managing the situation in a supportive way. We've previously spoken to the individual who has indicated that a type of herbal medication causes the smell of alcohol. They’ve been open and cooperative on every occasion when concerns have been highlighted as well as offering to undergo alcohol/ drug testing."

I missed this in my initial reply.

Call me a cynic if you wish, but what 'herbal medication' causes the smell of alcohol??

If you have no suspicion this person is under the influence then why has the subject of drug/alcohol testing come up?

Why do you say this has been managed in a supportive way if you have no suspicions that it is any thing else other than herbal medicine?

If this was me, or let us suppose a responsible company which employed drivers, I think such a  company would be insisting on a drug test.

• Stepping back a little but attempting to get to heart of your question I hope...

You have an employee who work colleagues (and I assume supervisors managers) report as smelling of alcohol.

Therefore you have sufficient "evidence"/ belief to arrant a discussion / low level investigation. You have carried this out.

The employee has co-operated (to their credit) and given you an explanation for the smell not connected to alcohol.

At this juncture it appears you have two choices - one you believe them in which case the matter is closed. Or two you do not believe (or at least not yet) their explanation - in which case you need to do further investigation. This might be as simple as an internet search for the product/herb they are using and seeing if this is a known side effect through further questioning of them right up to a alcohol/drugs test etc depending on your approach and what you uncover.

You need to balance their co-operation and the lack of any impact on their work/performance and demeanour at work against the constant smell of alcohol etc and form a balanced view as to what to do next.

Good luck
  • This point has already been referred to obliquely, but I'd like to address it more specifically:

Please be careful not to conflate "drunk at work" and "alcoholic". The former is a disciplinary issue that needs investigating and dealing with as any disciplinary matter. The latter is an illness that needs to be managed as such.

Alcoholism may be offered as mitigation for being noticeably drunk, apparently under the influence or smelling of alcohol. However, alcoholism is a treatable illness and an employee willing to undergo treatment (and who stays on the wagon) can be supported effectively to remain at work.

By contrast, one who isn't an addict but who simply lacks the discipline or self-control to resist a few drinks that impair performance or affect safety is a disciplinary liability.
  • In reply to Robey:

Very well-said, Robey!

I happen to be vaguely connected with a fellow who went to the same local school, who grew up in a comfortable  professional home but with a father ( an industrial medical doctor) who had very many fine qualities but was an alcoholic. As often seems to happen to children of alcoholics, the subject of this tale about 30 years ago found himself sleeping rough on a park bench in New York, himself a homeless and seemingly-hopeless alcoholic.

He decided though then that enough was enough and hasn't touched an alcoholic drink since then and is now, even in his seventies, one of America's if not the world's leading alcoholic rehabilitation experts with his own thriving practice, far greater prosperity than even his father ever enjoyed and who travels the globe speaking at conferences etc.

So it's a treatable illness  and we all shouldn't forget that fact and strive as far as far as we reasonably can to help in every way those so afflicted by this serious disorder

I have considered an OH referral as a possibility, there role involves manual handling and customer fronting but driving is not a part of their job.
    The last time the issue was raised was several months ago where colleagues reported that they could smell alcohol and identified erratic behaviour. This was dealt with through an investigation which is where testing came up. No instigated by the investigator but offered by the individual in question. However, the investigation identified other issues surrounding employee conflict which suggested t hat reports from colleagues weren’t unbiased. No further action was deemed necessary at the time. This is the first incident since then that has been raised. However, on this occasion there have been no reports of erratic behaviour or signs that the individual is indeed drunk i.e. no slurring of speech etc.... however the smell of alcohol has been reported. If they were indeed drunk on the premises or openly consumed alcohol then this would be managed through disciplinary in-line with policies and procedures. However, given that alcohol has been reportedly smelt but no other indicators would lead to a reasonable assumption of drunkenness then disciplinary doesn’t seem appropriate in the given circumstance.