Buying Holiday Query - Is there a maximum

I am looking for some guidance please.

We have a situation whereby one of our employees requires urgent dental work and cannot fund this.  The employee has suggested whether we could buy some of his holiday back in order for him to fund the treatment.  It sounds like it's very costly and around £2,000 plus.

His line manager has also approached me about this and wants to explore the buying holiday back option so I feel there is now pressure to make a decision fairly quickly as it seems to be affecting his work.

We offer employees above the statutory entitlement for holiday, 23 days plus bank holidays, but it sounds like the employee will need to surrender around 10 days to fund the treatment.

We do not have a policy in place but have in the past bought holiday back from a previous employee (under different circumstances) so we can do this.

Is there a minimum holiday allowance the employee should be taking?  I feel that if he surrenders 10 days holiday he will have hardly any left for the rest of the year.

Just interested to hear any views on this.

• Barbara
    Whatever you choose to do you must continue to respect the statutory minumum - after all, it is statutory...
    I may be mean, but I've always expected staff to exhaust all other avenues before coming to ask for company assistance.
    If no other solutions were available you could always consider a salary advance/loan to be recovered over a reasonable time frame, but if extending beyond a year iit could well give rise to becoming a taxable benefit (payroll and admin complications)

• As Ray says in your circumstances you can not buy back more than three days. To do so would leave you providing them with less than the statutory minimum holiday entitlement.

Whilst rarely one to worry that much about precedents I do fear this is setting a poor one. You may well find yourself judging which things are worthy of allowing people to sell holiday for and which aren't.
  • In reply to Ray:

Yes that was my next thought, an advance.
  • Hi Barbara

Does the NHS charge that much for "urgent dental work"? What on earth is he having done - gold-plated dentures? I am 100% behind Ray and Keith. You are his employer, not his mother. He needs to take responsibility for this.
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

When I actually went through the cost it turned out to be £600, so not as expensive as they had first thought.

I totally agree with your comments though.