Any local authority HR professionals

Hi I am returning to local authority after many years from Nhs any key issues I need to consider. I’m aware of funding cuts by 50%. Other issues
  • Hi Dipak
    I returned to a local authority a year ago after 11 years away. I think it will vary by Authority, but the key things i have noticed are:

* a much more professional and commercially focused approach ensuring a greater level of effectiveness

* a high degree of collaborative and partnership working with other organisations and agencies with LA employees working alongside NHS and 3rd sector colleagues

* public sector procurement processes are some form of dark art, but as you are NHS, you may have experience of that

* employees have a better mix of experience - both public and private sector, which is improving innovation, without losing the very valuable experience of people who really know how the governance and political aspects work

* less formality with people being respected for their knowledge and skills rather than grade or position in the hierarchy

* greater use of volunteers to enhance services where funding cuts mean that it is difficult to provide much more than the statutory services

I hope that helps and you enjoy your new role
  • Thank you very much for your insight