Gaining trust of remote employees

I work for a company who have staff based at HQ as well as a number of staff who work remotely all over the world. My Directors are wanting me to have informal chats with all staff members to find out about what motivates them, what their pain points are, what the company is doing well and what it can improve. I know from experience that when HR comes calling for a chat, staff members are more than likely to clam up. I am looking for some advice on how to approach this and also how to approach it in a way that it is not sounding like I am trying to get information from them. 

• Hi Victoria

You have two problems here: establishing relationships over distance and the image people have of HR. My first reaction to address both is that you and your colleagues need to get out and about at every opportunity so that people get to know you and to know that you haven't turned up to sack someone but I don't know how practical this is with a workforce spread across the globe. Do they come together for team meeting? If so, could you get yourself invited?

I'd look into Skype, Webex, Facetime etc and whenever possible, talk to people via a medium where you can see each other.

If that isn't practical then I think it is easier to build relationships by telephone conversations than email.

If you can build the relationship, the trust will come.
  • I think you can build relationships via email, but that you have to soften the formality of the medium with a long term approach. Remembering someone's birthday and sending a non-template message, following up on an absence/wedding/illness/parent's operation/child's assembly or issue in someone's life that you've remembered, or just checking in informally - it takes time, but you can show that you care, and that HR is not a bureaucratic machine but a department that looks after the organisation by looking after its employees. Much easier to do in person, but distance just demands a different approach, that's all. Once the relationship is there, you can more easily ask about the issues your organisation is trying to address.

Appreciate that you may not have the timeline on this occasion to make it work for this project, in which case I'd do as much face to face work as possible - and visits might seem extravagant when there are virtual options available, but where they're possible I'd definitely see them as a good investment.
  • Be honest, be human and drop the jargon.

HR bods often struggle with at least 2 out of three of them.

I think you have said enough in your note above to start a good introductory email to then lead onto further face to face or direct dialogue (and agree with much of what colleagues have written....so (and know this isnt perfect but its a start)

Dear

I know from personal experience that when HR comes calling for a chat or you get an email from us , colleagues are likely to think something is wrong or they are giving us another task to do.

But this time I am trying something different. Our Directors (would be better if you could say Bill our MD) is really keen to understand what the company is doing well and what it can improve upon, what motivates you and where your pain points are. Its about opening up a conversation we can have to make the organisation better and your job more enjoyable and productive.

I have been asked by Bill to set up some informal opportunities where we can just chat through the above and see what we can come up with. Therefore don't be surprised when I give you a call/pop in etc over the next few weeks to start building a better picture for Bill and the Directors of where we are and what we need to do differently.

In the meantime if you are in X (your location) feel free to pop in and say hi
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks so much for this, unfortunately, the majority of our remote staff members work from home and no 2 people are in the same country. Each team has a daily/weekly team meeting held on Google Meet (without video) so I could get myself invited to these meetings. There was a plan to have weekly team lead/manager team meetings where I could work on building the relationships but for whatever reason these have not happened.

I know the staff members that will be forthcoming in their views and who I have an existing relationship with. My challenge will be getting views from those who are not so forthcoming whether this be due to lack of trust in HR or down to cultural differences.

Thanks again for your advice, I agree this will be a long term project so this time around I am aware I may not get the answers I am looking for first time round.

Thanks

Victoria :)
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Hi Nina,

Thanks for this advice, yes, the challenge will be building the relationship but we have the means available to build the relationship remotely.

I am aware that this will be more of a long term project so need to manage Directors expectations that we may not get the answers we are looking for first time around.

Thanks again :)
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith,

Thanks for this, I do like this approach and it is something I have suggested to the Directors as I feel honesty is the best policy. However, the directors feel that if staff members are given advance warning about what I am wanting to discuss with them we won't get honest answers.

I am going to try and approach this with them again and see if I can change their minds.

Thanks again Keith
  • In reply to Victoria:

You cant build trust without honesty. It is the very foundation. Its a pointless exercise and is as likely to backfire.

Colleagues knowing in advance the broad areas you want to discuss can only help everyone.

No wonder your organisation has trust issues if thats the approach of your Directors!

Good luck!