Glassdoor and other sites proving anonymous feedback

We are working on improving our social media profile (1) to attract passive job applicants, (2) support recruitment into difficult to fill posts and (3) to improve the numbers of workers we hire; the latter are engaged to conduct interviews with project respondents. In many ways they are the public face of our organisation.

As part of this, we are looking into anonymous feedback left on sites such as Glassdoor and Indeed. I wanted to see whether anyone has any data, experience or knowledge of whether anonymous feedback left on these sites has any impact on recruitment and the employer brand?

I was wondering how many organisations have decided to “manage” feedback left on Glassdoor and/or Indeed. If you have decided to “manage”, what do you do?

Have you noticed any changes to numbers and/or quality of applications due to managing or not managing Glassdoor or Indeed?

What are the benefits and resource implications in managing these websites?

• Hi Andrea

If you search Glassdoor, you will find some threads on this subject. I don't believe it is as much of a force yet in this country as it is in the US, but I know that job seekers do research online presence before applying for a vacancy. They tell us so. We have never attempted to collect data on this but my impression is that an organisation's online presence is getting more and more important to job seekers.

I manage our Glassdoor page. The page exists whether you like it or not, so IMO it is folly not to do what you can to manage it. 

Unless you are a big employer it isn't time-consuming. You can set up an alert to let you know if someone has posted a review so that you can come back with a timely response. Glassdoor has some useful tips on how to handle negative reviews.

We are fortunate enough to have some really good reviews and we use them on our jobs site. I think it makes us look more attractive to job seekers but, again, have never spent the time on any kind of study.

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

30 Oct, 2018 11:11

In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Thanks, Elizabeth. I recall you've posted about your experience with Glassdoor before.
  • There is a guy called Adrian Mcdonagh who runs a recruitment company called EasyWeb and he does a lot of stuff around Glassdoor and the like, plus some free training sessions on how to look after it. He may have some statistics etc as well, or could probably point you in the right direction.
  • In reply to Elsa Knight:

I've done some EasyWeb webinars and found them excellent. They are free as well. At the enyou can just tick to say you are happy with your current solution.
  • Thank you all very much!