Improving Working Lives - except for older workers?

The Centre for Better Ageing has just released a report calling on UK employers to make their policies and practices more age-friendly as thousands of employers are unprepared for the ageing workforce (https://www.ageing-better.org.uk/news/uk-employers-unprepared-ageing-workforce?platform=hootsuite)

They say: "Without changes to our workplaces, more and more of us will face worse working lives as we age."

Is your organisation prepared for the demographic shift? What actions are you taking to be "age-friendly"?

• Hmm ... changes to the workplace for older workers! I suppose they mean dedicated parking spaces for our zimmer frames; adjustments to the office wear policy so that we can wear our tartan velcro slippers all day; corporate rates with the hairdresser so that we can have a blue rinse and shampoo and set at cheap rates; provision of day beds for our nap after Bargain Hunt; fresh tea at regular intervals made in a pot and served in a cup and saucer; ensure that everybody talks to us very loud, slowly, right in our faces and with their heads inclined; etc. That sort of thing perhaps? I'm 64 and happily managing to carry on working, full-time. If I needed any adjustments (which I don't), I'm quite adult enough to ask for myself. My mind is still active, my speech unaffected by age, amazingly my dark brown hair has only 2 grey ones so far, I can dress myself and usually manage to eat lunch without dribbling too much. I go out dancing whenever I can (ska, reggae or hard-house). As the government keeps moving the pension age goalposts further away from me, I have no alternative but to keep working financially. But actually I'm going to carry on anyway because I enjoy working.
  • In reply to Judy Williams:

I realise you're making your comments tongue in cheek Judy but I suspect there are recruiters and managers in the workplace who genuinely hold these stereotypes of older workers.
  • In reply to Anna:

I know there are. I got asked a couple of weeks ago if I thought I could manage a full time job 5 days a week.

This was while the recruiter was lookIng down at my date of birth on the birth certificate they had demanded I bring along as a part of their checks. While I am well aware that employers need to verify the right to work in the UK, it is also a jolly good way of finding out the exact age of the applicant at the interview.

As I said in a previous post on another thread, I could write a book about the poor practice I have witnessed first hand. My experience is reflected in the unemployment and economic inactivity statistics.