Candidate info on CVs

New into my role, I discovered our external recruiters were sending CVs and sifting info through to hiring managers with all sorts of info that was both unnecessary and potentially creating risk e.g. candidates full names, ages, country of origin, accent (!) etc, as well as the resume details.  I have been focusing on EDI and aiming to try to stop any chance of unconscious bias, so have asked recruiters to not provide this info, and only provide the name and contact details for candidates with resumes we wish to take forward.  I appreciate age is sometimes easy to guess if a candidate includes education dates etc, however we are receiving resumes where candidates have written intro things on their CV such as "I am a young, keen woman..." and "I am a married man with a young family..." etc.  The recruiters are asking whether they should remove this type of thing before passing to us, however this would be onerous for them, and it is something the candidates are actively giving us themselves, rather than this being info the recruiters are taking upon themselves to provide.  I am keen to avoid unconscious bias and our hiring managers have received training.  I'd be interested in your views.  Thanks.

• I guess the same could be said (that they are willingly giving up the information) about age, race, class or anything. You will possibly react different to knowing they are a family person etc as you would to other traits

Either you want to pursue a policy of anonymised CVs to reduce some of the impact of unconscious bias or you don't.

I think some of the evidence on anonymized CVs is mixed at best personally
  • Hi Carrie, I work within the recruitment field, and I find removing "irrelevant" information is more beneficial in helping avoid unconscious biases. To that end, as a recruiter, I'd remove the phrases like "married man with a young family", as it is irrelevant to the skillset requirement of the job. In reformatting CVs before sharing with a hiring manager, it is not a dreadfully laborious task, and ultimately could lead to more successful placements for the recruiter, so I would encourage it personally. Unfortunately job seekers aren't trained in what to/what not to include, so may not realise they are potentially disadvantaging themselves