Equality and Diversity Review

Hi, 

I work for a charity and we do pride ourselves on being an equal ops employer, have made it mandatory for all staff to complete E&D training etc.. 

I want to carry out an E&D review of the organisation but my query is, how do we do this to ensure that all staff are included when we cannot make it mandatory for all staff to provide personal information. If we only capture part of the org the review won't be an accurate representation. 

I'm aware other businesses do this so just want some guidance on how to go about it?

• Hi Becci

I'm not an expert but when this was undertaken at our organisation, it was done anonymously. (I'm making the assumption here that you would also be using some form of survey, at least in part, for this review.) We made sure that answers could not be traced back to any individual through "jigsaw identification" - we prevented the survey results from showing individual responses so we could only see the overall aggregate picture. Half the solution was convincing colleagues that this was genuinely anonymous. The other part was persistence. We could see how many people had completed the survey and ultimately everyone completed it within a few weeks. So a correctly constructed survey with strong communication was essential.
  • Hi, First of all Communicate the purpose and benefits, Assure anonymity and confidentiality, Provided Various methods of Participation, Engage with Staff network and representatives, Highlight the importance of representation.