Leaving drinks...

Hi All

Whilst investigating a complaint of sexual harassment, a heated discussion developed between a witness and the investigating officer about something else that had happened at the same leaving do.  It concerned something the latter had said about the former. The discussion became heated and I was taken aback as I had had no idea what it was about. Later, the investigating officer told me that they had said "I always thought that xyz was rubbish at their job but they have really stepped up recently" to various new team members of the witness at the drinks. With a somewhat "mulish" expression they told me that this was their opinion and they had "nothing to apologise for".  It seems to me that they thought the remark was a compliment!.

Needless to say, the witness got to hear about this and then tried to raise it with the investigating officer on the day after the event.  The witness said that they would have expected the investigating officer to raise any issues about their performance with them or with their line manager, not with new colleagues at a leaving drinks so felt this was inappropriate.  When raising this, they felt that their concerns were dismissed.  Frankly, the behaviour from both during the meeting was not great.  

The witness does not want to raise it "formally" so we are at an impasse.  Any thoughts on best ways to get both to sit down together and speak to each other calmly would be much appreciated. I hope that both can find common ground, this is quite out of character for both and I would like to help them resolve it, but will escalate if not possible as we are a small team and I can't let this fester. 

• The answer has to be professional mediation.
  • I have to say that based on the facts in your post, I have every sympathy with your witness and none at all for your investigating officer. Having a genuinely held opinion about someone does not give you the right to share it with that person's work colleagues. They have effectively said that the witness used to be incompetent but has recently become better.

What is the respective seniority of each person in your organisation?

The witness not wanting to raise it formally does not disempower you to act. The investigating officer has told you what they said, and in the investigation meeting that you were present at, it was clear to you that it had caused upset and offence.

In your situation, I would bring the matter to the investigating officer's line manager, and ensure that they dealt with it appropriately.
  • "Leaving drinks" I assume alcohol is/was involved? Well I never!!
  • In reply to David Perry:

Leaving drinks from hell ;). There weren't even that many of us there...
  • Offer mediation to both (TCM or ACAS or similar can provide professional mediators for a fee) and if they want to take it up, facilitate that. additionally, speak in confidence to the investigating officer's own manager to express concern about the comment they made about the colleague at the leaving drinks, and suggest that the manager discusses it with them and makes it clear that it was unprofessional etc. Sorry you're having to deal with this - sounds like a messy situation!
  • In reply to Ann Simpson:

Thank you. I share a manager with the investigating officer so have already mentioned it. They see it as a positive that people, especially younger people, bring this kind of thing up, rather than putting up and shutting up. Having said that, I am still hoping to be able to resolve this without our mutual manager needing to be involved. But absolutely, if I don't get anywhere (and not sure the investigating officer would accept mediation as "I've done nothing wrong"), then the manager will have that discussion.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

I agree Nina. Just because the witness does not want to make it formal does not mean those present cannot show concern for the behaviour and what happened. It's quite usual for people occupying lower positions of power to not want to go formal, the process can get even more stressful and they might not have confidence and trust that it will be resolved. Taking it the investigating officer's line manager seems to be the best course of action to move from impasse to action.