Wearing a T-shirt with LGBTQ+ emblem and slogan

Hi all,

An employee has raised concerns about an employee wearing LGBTQ+ t-shirts with slogans such as "Trans lives matter."

I am really confused about this.

Advice on how to proceed would be helpful, thanks in advance.

• What are their concerns? I think it would depend on your business and if the wearing of these t-shirts by an employee would have an impact on anyone.
  • A search might produce another long and similar post.

What exactly is the issue you are confused about?
  • I am confused if this would be considered as an acceptable emblem/slogan in the workplace. For example if an employee wore a t-shirt saying, "You can't change biological sex." I believe this was tested in the Maya Forstater case but just wondering if any of these slogans should be in the workplace.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

7 Jun, 2024 07:39

There is a context - as it's Pride Month.
  • Do you have a dress code policy and does this fit in with the policy? If you have a policy and it complies with the policy, I would let the individual who complained know that the employee is complying with your dress code policy and ask for more detail on the nature of the concern - they may find it hard to pinpoint their exact concern, or it may help you outline your responsibilities under EQ2010 in response.

If the employee isn't complying with the policy, let them know gently. If the policy has been relaxed for specific events, such as Pride, that needs to be shared with the concerned employee and consideration given to how the company would manage "competing" t-shirts!

If you don't have a dress code, it may unfortunately be time to bring a basic one in. Consider including a statement about political or belief-based slogans or logos, depending on whether they are permitted or not permitted.

Ultimately all employees need to understand their rights and responsibilities. They have a right to manifest their genuinely held beliefs and it would be reasonable during Pride month for this to be manifested more visibly - on both sides of the equation. If they wish to be able to wear slogans at work, they need to be aware that others will have the same right and that they may not like the slogan that someone else chooses to wear. But provided the actions of that person do not create a hostile environment...they have the right to express their belief.
  • In reply to Deborah:

agree that it might be time to bring in a dress code policy banning slogans of any type.

I'd be concerned this might kick off others wearing the "Adult Human Female" type t-shirts. Not that I have an issue with either personally, but others might and use it as an opportunity to 'bite back', and all the issues that could bring......
  • Hi all,

Thanks you for your detailed advice.

We don't have a dress code policy. However, I'm not really sure what a dress code policy would achieve without knowing if the slogans are acceptable or not acceptable. Is it acceptable to ban "all" slogans?

More information has come forward this morning whereby it is alleged this employee said, "this (the t-shirt) will piss the religious/christian people off” and that the employee is constantly bringing the conversation around to lgbtq+ in work to discuss. The employee that reported the concerns feels that the t-shirt and the comments and conversations are creating a hostile environment as they feel the employees is trying to force information on them and they don’t want it and the conversations feel like attempts to recruit employees. I have had a look at other threads but difficult to get a clear understanding. Could this be viewed as offensive/harassment to other employees who hold different beliefs?
  • In reply to Deborah:

Thinking about what that slogan says - really? Are we saying that it isn't correct?

You have someone here who is being really clear that they don't feel comfortable in their workplace, and I think I'd want to start with why they want to make the statement at work. Does your office feel like an open and accepting place? The fact that you've had someone intimate that 'Trans lives matter' is somehow offensive (really? they don't matter?), would indicate to me that maybe they have a point?

A circular issue - but it certainly feels to me that the dress code is only a symptom here of something that is harder to solve (but ultimately what might be needed).
  • In reply to Deborah:

Hi Deborah

Regarding your query on the wording of the policy, I've worked for companies before who have said logos and slogans are not acceptable - I would probably err away from the word "ban". This felt reasonable to me as it meant "humour" t-shirts couldn't be worn, football shirts, big logos for brands etc. Sometimes brands may end up being associated with something that your business does not want to be associated with. And that extends to political parties too - so you're essentially saying that while representing our business, you can't be representing another! Which feels reasonable and takes the focus off the potentially contentious topic of this particular slogan. You may want to consider if this includes displaying logos/slogans on other items - many people for example will wear a rainbow badge or lanyard which could be reasonable. But if you have some employees out to make a point, they could just go out and get badges printed with their competing slogans to attach to clothing, rather than wearing the slogan on the actual clothing!

Regarding the extra information that you now have, I would suggest an informal conversation with the t-shirt wearing employee about their actions. Wearing the t-shirt is an expression and manifestation of their beliefs, and without a dress code it is not going against your policies either so they are free to continue doing so. Saying it will annoy a specific group of people is leaking into creating a hostile environment for that group of people - that's a very specific comment that can be addressed by outlining to them their right to manifest their views and their responsibility to allow others not to feel persecuted for manifesting their own.

With the conversations they are starting, this could be trickier to tackle as it is more vague and relies on the employee cooperating and being reasonable. I would suggest approaching with open questions about how accepted they feel at work, how they like to discuss their beliefs and trying to understand the context. There is a difference, for example, in raising that their child/sibling/friend is transitioning and finding it really difficult to access treatment and how upsetting this is for them, vs. raising debates about whether that access should be allowed in the first place and discussing the restriction of rights.

Once you have knowledge of the context, you can offer support if there is something going on that means they need to talk - if they are facing a personal struggle. Or if it is generally instigating political/ethical debates, you can outline again their responsibilities and the preferences of different people. I would outline to them that the company as their employer strive to create an inclusive environment and value the diverse views of employees - and this means valuing all diverse views even if they differ from our own. Outline that both sides of the debate are protected within employment case law and therefore the employee needs to be prepared for their colleagues to respectfully express opposing views if the employee is expressing their own. If the employee feels this would be too upsetting or confronting for them, they should consider whether the workplace is the right place to raise this. They also need to recognise that not everyone will feel comfortable having these conversations at work and therefore they need to respect if their colleagues politely decline to enter into a conversation about it. It's part of the balance of having the right to freedom of expression and the responsibility to protect others' rights to this even when we disagree with their expression.

I would have this written out prior to chatting to them, ready to send a follow up in writing so you have a record of exactly what was discussed afterwards and can clarify any misunderstandings quickly.
  • In reply to Deborah:

If there is actual evidence that the employee has said they are deliberately wearing it to 'piss off' others who are also protected within the EA2010, then yes, this is offensive and potential harassment - you now have motive/deliberate intent to offend and create a hostile environment, assuming you can get the person who heard it to say so in a statement

Like Samantha I would personally ban all slogans - it's a workplace, not a sixth form common room, and you're being fair/consistent if you ban everything. I want my employees to bring their professional selves to work and have respect for each other.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Hi Nina,

I dont think it is about whether the slogan is correct or not, it's more about the appropriateness of it in work.
  • In reply to Deborah:

Agreed - and the most professional/neutral position for the company is that slogans of any kind are not appropriate dress in the workplace. I would definitely advocate for that.
    Anything more nuanced (these slogans are approved, but these are not) will bring the organisation into a debate that is highly divisive (and future debates which will also be problematic). Even the comment about wanting to annoy their colleagues has to be taken in context - why do they feel the need to do so? Is it because they've been made to feel that they aren't accepted?
    If you ban one message, you implicitly endorse the other - unless you remove all of them!
  • Hi all,

Really thankful for all the helpful advice on this.

I have just discovered that the organisation has held Pride events in the past and have promoted similar lgbtq+ slogans.
  • In reply to Deborah:

"I dont think it is about whether the slogan is correct or not, it's more about the appropriateness of it in work."

That depends on your company management and/or what kind of company you are.   Whats acceptable on a construction site, where no one is likely to care less, maybe somewhat different to a  school or an embassy !!!