CIPD Level 3 or 5

Hi guys,

Apologies if this isn't posted in the right section first time on here would like some guidance/opinions on a few things.

I'm coming from a retail background where I progressed from a sales assistant to store manager in 6 years. I held the position of store manager for 2 years and moved into doing telesales which I'm now doing and have been doing for the past few two months. I'm 24 years old if that matters.

I would like to begin a career within HR but finding it hard to get into it. I'm going to be starting a CIPD course to help me secure my first job within HR but not sure if I should start at level 3 or 5? I have no previous HR experience, I was required at my old job to do the occasional discplinary, counselling etc payroll every week but that's the extent really. Furthest I went with education was A-levels no uni, would I struggle doing a level 5?

And my last question is would it be better to look for an administration role whilst doing my CIPD then going into HR or will it be same sort of thing if I were to stay doing telesales and then going straight into HR while doing the course? I was thinking of doing an administrator job because it might help with the course and would make it easier for when I start a job in HR.

• I came from a similar background of retail manager before I moved into HR. you do have some HR/people experience from your role as manager so everything won't be completely new to you. I also had a degree although not in a related subject so had previously studied at a higher level so because of those two things was advised yo study L5. your management background stands you in a good place for L5 but it depends how confident you are at the higher level of study. report writing, research project's, self-study etc I would advise you get in contact with a provider such as ICS and speak to a careers advisor I got my first official HR role whilst I was midway through the course. Organisations are different but for many seeing that you are working towards the qualification and your intent to achieve it will make you a much stronger applicant, so it's not too early to apply for roles before you have finished the course.
  • I think it depends what role you want to do after your studies. I was working as HR Administrator and choose to do level 3. Which has given me a lot of knowledge and food for thought and I now do lots of higher level tasks. If however you want to go into a advisory and influencing role you might want to do level 5. I would recommend doing level 3 and getting some work experience at the same time, as it's hard doing level 3 without experience or a company to use as case study. Don't underestimate the time needed to study next to your working hours - I'd imagine even more so with level 5.
  • I came from a hospitality background and have moved into HR. I studied my level 3 before I started my career within HR and will be doing my level 5 next year. In my opinion level 3 would be best, I think studying level 5 without being able to put the theory into a real life context wouldn’t be as rewarding as studying level 5 whilst you are in a HR role.