Best type of data driven interviews

Hi everyone. We are very data driven and our SLT would like to see if there is a more accurate/maybe scientific way to measure interviews rather than rely on us looking for examples and evidence and then making a human 'judgement' to come to a score or rating?? Also, we typically measure against Competencies but we are aware that some companies measure against Strengths and others against Values. What do people generally measure your interviews against eg competencies, strengths etc All feedback will be appreciated. Thank you
  • You might want to take a look at psychometric assessments - you'd need to be very clear about how you wanted to use them and how they would add value to the process, but combined with other assessment methods such as interviews etc, they can be very helpful in delivering a more scientific approach to recruitment.
  • In reply to Jacqueline:

Eeehhh... I know some of our colleagues are passionate about the value of psychometrics, but as a tool for recruitment they are almost universally condemned by the psychologists for whom they were designed. With the best will in the world, I cannot endorse a suggestion that using them in recruitment is "more scientific".

To Jane:

Competency-based selection was originally developed in the 60s as a model by Danial Kahneman, author of "Thinking Fast & Slow"", who subsequently won a Nobel prize for his work in the field of behavioural psychology.

Although Kahneman's model has been finetuned since then, it really hasn't been bettered and is probably the most objectively well-tested method of recruitment and therefore the "most scientific" you're like to find. The question, of course, is whether you're using it correctly and whether your expectations of its outputs are realistic.

Kahneman's findings were that selection based on competency scoring alone was superior to selection based only on instinct, but that the most effective results came from an instinct selection *after* performing a competency scoring.

There are some criticisms of the competency-based model. For a start, it assesses only on the basis of what candidates have already done and makes no allowance for future potential. And, because it relies upon what ultimately amounts to a subjective judgement call, it remains vulnerable to discriminatory bias (the tendency on the part of selectors to prefer candidates who are like themselves). However, as those criticisms can be fairly levelled at almost every other selection method, and because those that don't show those flaws are flawed in other, more substantive ways (anyone want to attempt pure random selection?), competency-based selection, properly executed, remains the most "scientifically" effective method for selecting talent.

In recent years, though, a method that has gained substantial traction is "values based" selection, which applies the competency method (essentially "tell me about a time when...") to a values system ("tell me about a time when you had to stand up to authority"; "tell me about a time when you made a mistake").

To my knowledge, the efficacy of values-based selection hasn't been widely tested and it has been adopted largely as a knee-jerk response to individuals who have been appointed on the basis of competence only for them to fail later on the basis of their values (high profile sexual harassment cases being an obvious example).

It is my personal opinion that values-based selection has its place as part of a competency-based framework, but should represent, at most, 20% of the selection method.

I've not come across a "strengths-based" selection method to date. It's not a bad principle that one should look to reinforce strength rather than compensate for weakness. But I would tend to say that there must be a baseline of minimal competence to qualify for most roles, regardless of a person's strengths. I think a "strengths-based" approach is more valid post-recruitment when discussing professional and personal development and how to invest in your employees.

*It is worth mentioning that Kahneman, like the good scientist he is, continually appraises his findings and has revised and reversed some of his conclusions in "Thinking Fast & Slow". That should be borne in mind when he continues to endorse the competency-based selection model.

• In reply to Robey:

Hi Robey
    I'd be interested in finding out more about why psychometrics are 'universally condemned' - could you direct me to some information about that?
    Many thanks
    Jackie
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

30 May, 2022 10:27

In reply to Jacqueline:

CIPD factsheet... with a note on psychometric tests...
    www.cipd.co.uk/.../selection-factsheet

• In reply to Jacqueline:

I should distinguish between aptitude tests - which are technically psychometric tests, but with very limited testing criteria such as verbal reasoning, which do arguably have some value to recruitment - and personality tests, which is what is usually meant when discussing psychometric tests in this context and which don't.

I'll walk back the "universally" in my initial post, because there has been a concerted effort among the developers of personality tests to crowd the discussion on their efficacy and reduce the visibility of criticism. Many psychologists speak highly of the use of personality tests in recruitment, but these do seem to be exclusively psychologists who have designed personality tests for use in recruitment.

Here are some views:

recruitingblogs.com/.../what-no-one-tells-you-about-psychometric-testing
    www.nytimes.com/.../personality-tests-office.html
    www.hrzone.com/.../why-psychometric-tests-in-hr-are-flawed
  • In reply to Robey:

I 100% agree with this.

We categorise the 2 types differently, one (the more evidence based specific to skill) we list as "Skills & Ability Assessments" the others we very clearly label as "indicative assessments" and suggest they only be used to point interviewers towards areas they might wish to cover in interview.

The 2 should not be confused - Skills based recruitment should only be based on assessments which are robust and have reproduceable results