Presentation Topic for Interview

Hi All,

I'm hoping somebody can help steer me in the right direction. I have an interview this week for a People Adviser role. I've been asked to prepare a presentation on the below topic:

You are evaluating office turnover and notice that one office has very high turnover. You are also dealing with an ongoing grievance within the office. What do you do?

My gut reaction is that the 2 issues should remain separate, to maintain the integrity of the investigation in to turnover and to ensure the grievance is followed as per policy. There's not a lot of detail in the question so I think it's wanting me to keep an open mind and investigate both issues separately and going where the evidence points, rather than assuming the 2 are linked.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Steven

• Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

16 Aug, 2022 08:48

Hi Steven - best of luck with the presentation. Please come back and let us know how it goes, we're all rooting for you! If I was faced with this scenario I'd tackle each issue separately (even though ultimately there may be some overlap.) They may want to understand how you would prioritise when faced with the two situations. I'm not an HR professional but just my own guess!
  • Hi Steven,

The best of luck! I wonder whether this is a bit of a trick question in a way.

As yes the issues should be approached and dealt with separately however I wonder whether there is a link between the two that could also inform your case for change? I.e., what are the reasons for leaving with staff in this office, does it actually link to the nature of the grievance you currently have as this could be the data that you could use to evidence your case for change.

Hopefully this helps, would be great to hear how the presentation and interview goes.

Cheree
  • In reply to Johanna:

Thanks for your thoughts Johanna, I'll definitely keep you posted
  • In reply to Cheree:

Thanks for the insights Cheree. I'll let you know how it goes
  • Hi all, thanks again for your input. I'm delighted to say the presentation and following competency interview was a success. I'll start my new role next month as a People Adviser
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

19 Aug, 2022 09:34

In reply to Steven:

Tadagreat news! Congratulations on the new role and hope you settle in quickly - wonder if that scenario exists in real life and you'll now have to deal with it?!