Payroll Interview test

Hi, I'm due to commence interviewing for a payroll administrator position and ideally want to compile an assessment/test to sense check their ability to grasp some fundamental payroll scenarios. Google searches are coming up fruitless and my previous organisations outsourced payroll so I'm looking for sources of drafted questions and/or scenarios that I could use. Does anyone have any questions or sources they can share? 

Thank you in advance! 

• How about giving them a real task that your payroll team carry out - just anonymise the names and maybe change the amounts. Eg. calculating maternity pay or sickness deductions?

You can give a brief outline of the policy, the background (ie. length of service, sickness absence dates) and ask how much should be paid/deducted.
  • In reply to Anna:

I like it thank you!
  • In reply to Samantha:

Hello there! Consider using HireNest's pre-employment assessment services if you want to determine whether an applicant can manage simple payroll scenarios. Here's the link to their website: https://hirenest.com/. They offer many hiring tests, so I am sure everyone can find the one that fit their needs the best.
  • In reply to Evelina:

Or we do a general numeracy test as one of our assessments - www.simusuite.com they are all pay as you go and you can choose which you use.
    There isnt a specific payroll one - but having been the recipient of payroll errors in the past I was amazed at how many payroll admins don't seem to have any proficiency with mental maths so can't just look at a number and know it is "wrong" and so to redo the calcs.