How can we be more inclusive of trans people at work?

This Saturday 31 March marks International Day of Transgender Visibility, celebrating the courage and achievements of trans people across the world but also drawing attention to the discrimination that still exists. 

More information here - https://www.cipd.co.uk/news-views/news-articles/international-day-of-transgender-visibility 

We've been using Stonewall's resources to develop our transitioning at work policy. Have you developed your own transitioning at work policy or made changes to help your organisation be more inclusive of trans people in your workplace that you can share?

• I wear two "hats" - one as an HR Business Partner in an NHS Trust, the other as Chair of Trustees for a small voluntary sector organisation working within the LGBT+ community. Our organisation is often asked for advice (by both employers and employees) regarding staff who are transitioning. Our key message is always to ask them how they want to be supported, both practically and with regard to telling colleagues. We also always recommend proper LGBT+ awareness training for all staff. The key thing that we find with most of the people who we work with who are trans is that what helps them the most is when other people just treat them as an ordinary member of the gender that they identify with.

Another important point to cover is that, whilst colleagues are generally incredibly supportive, they may accidentally deadname or misgender colleagues who are trans occasionally, and other colleagues need to feel comfortable gently correcting this. That said, staff need to be aware that deliberate deadnaming, misgendering or outing will be regarded very seriously.
  • In reply to Emily:

Thank you Emily, for sharing your thoughts and experience. Could you clarify what 'deadnaming' is please?

Thanks.
  • In reply to Victoria Dmochowski:

Hi Victoria

Of course - it's when someone refers to a trans individual by the name that they were known as prior to their transition - it's considered highly disrespectful and offensive, as it fails to acknowledge the individual properly in the gender identity that they identify with

Emily
  • In reply to Emily:

Totally agree with you Emily.

An HR policy in this space should highlight some of these things as well as the principles underlining how you want people to be and feel at work. I love your use of 'gently correcting' and totally behind that.

We ran an Employee Resource Group at CIPD around LGBT+ inclusion and I'd love to connect with you on this point.

Cip
  • In reply to Ciprian:

Hi Cip

Yes, I'd be happy to connect and discuss further

Thanks

Emily
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

10 Apr, 2018 12:08

In reply to Emily:

Ciprian, Emily - if it's easier I can email you both... making the email connection?
  • In reply to Emily:

Having grown up and gone to school with Mike, in the 1960s then worked with him for four years and then when I moved jobs he remained a friend. 15 years ago Mike became Christine. It took some practice to call him Christine and occasionally I accidentally called him, or referred to him - sorry! her! whilst I was with her and others.

In my view it is only "highly disrespectful and offensive", if you do it deliberately and knowingly. I don't think it upset Christine - she knew people would take some time to adjust.

I can't speak for everyone else though.