NCJ Payscale and holiday

Good morning,

I've just become Chair of a Committee for my local pre-school (apologies I'm likely to ask a few questions to start with).  The previous Committee implemented a pay scale for employees (6 of them) and used the NCJ as their guidance. It's a Charity so we're not bound by it but it was easier than create from scratch.

As we're all volunteers in the committee and as it's a new committee nearly every year, it's all a bit of a mess...

We've just appointed an Accountant to manage most of our bookkeeping/payroll etc and we're both trying to understand how payroll has been calculated in the past.  

Could somebody tell me if holiday pay is already included in the NCJ payscale?

Payroll is definitely not in my area of expertise but the previous treasurer has added holiday pay on their hourly rate (they're all Term-time part-time employees) so for example, somebody working 26 hours a week:

26/5*28 days holidays = number of holidays in hours

Hourly rate * number of holidays in hours = holiday pay for the year

Gross salary: holiday pay for the year and gross salary

Is this correct?

Many thanks!

Marie

• Hello Marie

The NJC salary scales are not inclusive of holiday pay. We use a formula for determining TTO staff's holiday entitlement e.g. work 35 hours, 39 weeks a year so paid 44.8534 weeks a year (26 days a/l + 8 Bank holidays pro-rata).

Regards

Una
  • Marie, you'll find a guide and model calculation in the NJC 'Green Book' part 4.12.
    Do a google search and you should find it but let me know if not.
    Alison
  • In reply to Alison:

Thanks Alison, I've found a few links but most take me back to Local Government Association website which requires me to be a member to download it. I've found a copy from 2018 but I think the 4.12 part you refer to has been recently updated?
  • In reply to Alison:

Many thanks, much appreciated! :)
  • Whilst familiarizing yourself with the Green Book won't do you any harm, it's a little bit of a red herring in this case as you're not a public sector body, your employees aren't members of a public sector union and your organization isn't bound by the terms of the NJC even if they used the Green Book as a benchmark (which... wow... six employees needed a payscale??).

I'm guessing that you don't actually have any payroll complaints to deal with, but rather you're just trying to muddle though, with the Accountant, on how pay was calculated to try to rationalize it going forwards, in which case the relevant references are the individual statements of terms and conditions for each employee, not the Green Book.
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks Robey, yes you've got it spot on. No issues just a right muddle :) - We would like to do it right and write it down so that it's documented going forward. Sadly the Ts&Cs aren't the best either so it hasn't been that helpful. We'll get there bit by bit!