(School) HR Admin interview advice

Hi everyone, I've just completed my Level 5 CIPD and have 5 years experience in management/leadership roles with HR duties (not in education or public sector). I've applied for a HR Admin role in a primary school which is part of a MAT. Can anyone help with interview prep, questions they're likely to ask? Things I should research? So far i've covered; - Their mission/values/vision - Top HR issues in contemporary primary schools and how to tackle - Where I would start and what priorities would be initially (building relationships with stakeholders/employee voice to hear enjoyed aspects and also concerns and suggestions) - How I would approach each of the responsibilities outlined in the JD - Ideas for wellbeing and engagement to retain staff. Research recent changes to relevant education sector laws - Unions - GDPR (differences within academies), use of OH - Governing bodies - HR structure/role within education sector. Is there anything else i'm missing? Can anyone offer any insights to the above to add to my thoughts/research? I really want this job. Thanks!

• I think you in a really good position and have researched well in comparison to many other I expect. Along side this just try and relax and show them your personality... good luck
  • Safeguarding and safer recruitment processes would be very high on my list of things to be confident on. It's such a priority in schools, along with other areas of compliance.

Good luck.
  • Thank you Nina, this is also on my list so far I have; extensive recruitment process with additional checks, ensuring 3-month maximum gap for updating DBS agreed to and who could be affected (exam invigilators, adhoc/casual employees) and to reimburse employees for signing up to update service to enable this with ease. Also their safeguarding policies and procedures and noted down which staff members are part of DSL team too. Is this enough?
  • In reply to Lucy Meacham:

That's all good. Keeping Children Safe in Education (KCSIE) is the source for everything, so have a good read of that - it's republished every year, so the new version has just come out. There's a whole section on recruitment, and you'll find that the range of checks grows ever longer.

Keeping the Single Central Record (SCR) updated is one of the core functions of any HR role in a school, which records the checks completed on each person involved with the school (as you say - not just the employed but ad hoc, contractors, governors, supply etc). Those checks involve ID checks (birth cert, passport, driving licence, documents with address), DBS checks, barred list checks, medical checks, qualification checks, overseas checks, reference checks and so on. It's not to be underestimated!!

Another thing you might find interesting to read is the latest government review of teacher recruitment and retention, which highlights the issues now and projects forwards. I can find the link if you might be interested.

Good luck! When's the interview?
  • Thank you so much! I've actually just made notes about DBS checking, barred lists, unusual addresses, DBS certificate authenticity checks, ID, KCSIE and updating SCR so nice to see i'm on the right lines. I'd love to have a read of the government review! I'll do a search for it but if you have the link handy that would be appreciated, thank you! I find out Friday if i'm through to interviews next week It's such a perfect role and i'm so passionate about it. It would really be a dream!

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/.../STRB_Written_Evidence_2021.pdf

Enjoy! If you find you are through to interview and want to chat, let me know.
  • Amazing! That's super kind and I might just take you up on that if possible! I'll let you know how Friday goes when I hear back
  • Hi Lucy! When I had my interview I was given scenario questions as well. Make sure you if you have a safeguarding question you know that you couldn’t promise the student to keep confidentiality if the information affects their safety or safety of others and always look to raise this to the designated safeguarding lead. I would also swat up on the School and MAT values. Best of luck!
  • Hi Danielle, great advice, thankyou! what other scenario based questions were you asked? xx
  • Hi Lucy! So sorry I just checked this post. How did the interview go? The scenario questions related to what would you do if a student disclosed to you that they didn’t want to go home due to a parent (Safeguarding) . As well as “You caught some students smoking how would you react? “ there were also some HR based questions regarding how you would rectify a an overpayment for a member of staff. As well as advising a line manager about Maternity rights for a member of their team.
  • I got the job! thank you everyone! x

Congratulations! I hope everything goes really well for you.