Support with Dissertation - ‘Why are Secondary School based Newly Qualified Teachers in London Leaving the Profession so Quickly?’

Hi All, 

I am trying to find NQTs who have left the teaching profession within the first three years to support me with some research I am carrying out as part of my Level 7 CIPD qualification. If you know anyone who may fit that category, please forward them the details below and ask them to get in touch. 

Thank you! 

Gemma

Dear Colleagues,

I am the Head of HR in a secondary school in Lewisham. I am currently undertaking a Masters in HR at London Metropolitan University and as part of this I am completing my dissertation on ‘Why are Secondary School based Newly Qualified Teachers in London Leaving the Profession so Quickly?’

I am writing to ask for help from colleagues who have left the teaching profession within the first three years, to see if they might be willing to take part in individual interviews as part of the study. The interview is no longer than an hour and is quite informal. I am trying to capture thoughts and perspectives on the factors that influenced NQT decisions to leave the teaching profession. Responses to the questions will be kept confidential; each interview will be assigned a number code to help ensure that personal identifiers are not revealed during the analysis and write up of findings.

There is no compensation for participating in this study. However, your participation will be a valuable addition to my research and findings, which could lead to a greater understanding of issues at hand within the education sector.

Interviews will take place during August and, if preferable, these can take place online. The interviews will be recorded so that I can type up the notes for analysis at a later date, however, if you wish to take part but do not wish to be recorded then please just let me know.

If you are willing to be interviewed as part of my study, please email me: gcourtney@deptfordgreen.co.uk, confirming which route of teacher training you took, the type of school/s you have worked in (i.e. maintained, academy, independent) in which London borough/s you have worked and if there are any dates in August that you are not available.

If you have any questions about the study at all please let me know.

Please do share my email with others who you think may be able to help.

Thank you for taking the time to read my request,

Gemma