Holiday pay!

Hello all

I am an HR consultant for a large independent school, as well as a Governor for my local (state) primary school and chair of the Personnel and Communications Committee.

The independent school I work with employs term time only support staff, full time support staff, support staff who work in holidays - or both as well as teaching staff! So, it can get a little confusing.

For all those working in education, how do you work holiday for support staff? Some schools will add on 10.77pc to the basic rate/salary to cover holidays for TTO staff, and pay the salary (based on 35 weeks) equally over 12 months. But I'm not entirely comfortable with this given that it is, in effect, rolled up holiday pay!

How do you calculate how many weeks a year a term term worker works (support staff) - 35 weeks a year or 35 weeks a year plus holiday weeks - and do you calculate holiday on the 35 weeks OR 52 weeks?! 

There's one specific query - a support member of staff who works TTO X hours and also holiday periods for X hours. They currently 'roll up' her holiday (*frown*). Now, she's been working some regular overtime, so actually they should be paying the overtime at an average rate... you can see where I'm going here.

I'd love to know how you all manage holiday payments for support staff!

Many thanks

Joanne Moss MCIPD

• In reply to David:

Is that the one that interestingly said you couldn't pro rata by weeks, but could by hours? So in effect giving term time staff a greater proportion
    of holiday than their full time counterparts.
  • Hi Joanne
    How does the holiday entitlement work if you take a year off for maternity leave?
    Should the holiday pay be the spread over rate or full rate if nothing needs to be spread over
  • In reply to Rebecca:

Hi Rebecca, did you ever get any responses to this as we are reviewing our own practices on TTO staff, maternity leave, holiday pay and how to calculate any accrued annual leave - and any methodology you can share would be gratefully received.