Quarantine - school setting

Hi, Has anyone needed to address the issue of staff travelling abroad to a country that still requires quarantine on return, meaning they won’t be available to start back at work on 1st September? We have put out a communication to our 14 schools asking them to let us know if they have travel plans which will require quarantine beyond the end of the school holiday. We do intend to consider circumstances (financial loss, ability to rebook, funerals etc...) but as a MAT need a consistent approach as far as possible. Home working will be considered but will be difficult with the planned return to full capacity. Has anyone looked at unpaid leave in a school for either teaching or support staff? Thanks.

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

7 Jul, 2020 22:31

Hi Melissa - I've added 'school setting' to the title of your thread - 1) to add context, and 2) as we've a few other related discussions (but in a non-school setting, I think).
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thanks Steve, sadly I am no further forward.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

10 Jul, 2020 17:08

In reply to Melissa:

I'll have a try at 'bumping' this thread early next week.
  • The only thing I've come across with this was in the Falkland Islands, where the situation is very different due to the sporadic nature of flights in and out of the country (commercial routes suspended leaving only the military plane which is often delayed by days due to bad weather) and the lack of any cover staff.

The Falkland Islands have extended the usual 3.5 week winter holiday (southern hemisphere means it is winter now) by an extra 3 days to give teachers enough time to go to the UK where they won't need to quarantine (no recent cases in the Falklands so they are on the safe list), spend around ten days there with family or friends and then fly back in time to complete their 14 day quarantine in the islands before going back to work. Most teachers work there on 2-4 year contracts from overseas and the short winter holiday is often their best chance to go home and see family, escape the Falklands winter weather and get a bit of summer sunshine.

I would imagine a case-by-case approach is your only option here - it is not unreasonable to expect your staff to be back in time, but if they genuinely can't for whatever reason e.g. perhaps they are seeing family overseas and this is their only available flight times, then I would allow some discretion and either encourage home working or require them to take unpaid leave.