New to the HR Education sector, can anyone help?

Hello all,

I have been in HR for 15 years +, but only in professional services and more recently creative industries. I joined a London Academy of schools in East London last week and would love to know the "key things to know", what resources I can use (websites,books, podcasts etc) and best practices that work in the education world for HR. 

Also, would love to join any networks out there for HR professionals in the education world as I have found I learn best through others experiences and it is where we can share our experiences and best practices! Having monthly catch up's etc. 

I am on LinkedIn as Sandip Kaur Gill and my work email is sandip@lionacademytrust.net

Thanks all in advance :)

Sandip

• Hi, can anyone help here? I can see there are loads of active users on here, would appreciate any insights at all, however small or not! Thanks! :)
  • In reply to Sandip:

Hi Sandip, I'm trying to set up an online HR group for the 25th of May at 4pm. Would you be interested to join if it works out? Then please pm me your email address so I can be in touch. Best wishes
  • In reply to Rachel Kathrin:

Hi Rachel, thanks for reaching out! Yes, I would love to join. Not sure how I can PM you, but if I can't find it then I will just reply to you on here with my email. Thanks :)

I sent you my email in a PM :)
  • Welcome to the world of Education Sandip. It is quite a unique sector but also lots of similarities with the rest of industry. I would highly recommend subscribing to The Key and your academy may well already be onboard. It is full of resources and support specifically for Education - well worth a visit.

Hello Sandip/Rachel/anyone else!

I too am new to the education sector, just starting this week in a standalone HR Manager role in an independent school- and starting remotely due to the current climate! Prior to this, my background was all private and third sector!

I would be most grateful if there are any resources that can be shared, and would be delighted to join the HR Group on the 25th if there is any way you can add me Rachel please?
  • In reply to Aileen:

Amazing Aileen, please pm me your email address and I will set up a zoom call. I will email you prior to that so we can already collect some subject we would like to discuss. Thanks!!!
  • In reply to Sandip:

Thanks, I got it, would you be able to hare with me your findings, I really struggle with the DM function here and couldn't figure out how it works when there are more people with the same name. I will email you and everyone interested in joining a few days prior to our first chat so we can collect 3/4 topics to chat through. Will be great to exchange experience.
  • In reply to Sarah Trueman:

Hi Sarah, thank you so much for the warm welcome and good to know there are similarities! Thank you for the recommendation for the key, I will look in to it :)
  • In reply to Aileen:

Hi Aileen, I joined whilst in lockdown too, so I have been working from home since I first started at my MAT, maybe we can share some experiences around this! See you on the 25th :)

Hi Rachel, yes I used the DM function for the first time when I messaged you, luckily your name came up for me ok. I think everyone has a unique number associated with them, so you may need to make a note of that to make sure you are messaging the correct person with the same name :)
  • In reply to Sandip:

Fantastic, that would be great- i have also found a group on LinkedIn and on Facebook of all places called HR Ninjas in Education :-)
  • In reply to Aileen:

Hi Aileen, I don't have facebook, but do have LinkedIn. I tried to find 'HR ninjas in education', but couldn't find anything. Could you maybe refer to add me, or point me in the right direction please? Thanks!
  • In reply to Sandip:

Hi Sandip

My apologies as I have just seen your reply. The group in LinkedIn is called HR in Schools and Colleges. However, the owner of the group informed me it is hardly used, and to be honest I haven't seen any movement at all in it. She did point me in the direction of the Facebook group though, and it seems to be very active!
  • Hi, I'd be interested in any networking opportunities going! Sandip, if you managed to find anything please could you share on this thread?