Insurance - to add terrorism cover or not

Hi, I wanted to get an idea of common practice. We are opening a school in Croydon/London and are about to finalise the cover. Who adds terrorism cover, who doesn't and what is the reasoning behind your decision?

Thank you in advance!

• Can you actually add terrorism cover Rachel? Or is this something the school wants to add?
  • In reply to David Perry:

Hi David, sorry, I'm not sure I understand your question. We are in the process of getting in insurance quotes for a private small school and are looking to make a decision if to add terrorism cover or not. When I say we or in that context I'm speaking on behalf of the school I'm working with.
    My question is - what is common and good practice - insurance with terrorism cover or without?
  • In reply to Rachel Kathrin:

I don't think there's either a common or good practice answer, Rachel. It depends on your budget and your assessment of risk.

As you represent a private school, you will want to take into account the number of pupils you have from politically-exposed families whose children may be considered legitimate targets by terrorist groups.

If you're looking for cover against closure or loss of business as a secondary consequence of terrorist action (for example, an event nearby, not directly targeting the school) then you will need to check the clauses regarding force majeur as you may not be covered for such losses even by a dedicated policy. So, for example, if you are based in a major city (which is more likely to be affected by terrorist action) you may still not be able to claim for losses in the event of a shutdown of your local public transport network if this is outside the control of the parties to the insurance agreement.