Job descriptions support staff - what kind of contract to offer?

Hi, I hope everyone is keeping well.

We are opening a school in SE London this September 2020 and I'm now in the process of hiring the support staff (caretaker, office manager/receptionist). I'm unsure what the best form of contract will be for the receptionist - I guess a term time contract is out of question as there is always admin and communication to do during holidays as well and they will most likely have lots to catch up on (e.g.filing, organising, designing forms for the next term...)?

What would your suggestions be? If anyone has job descriptions to share I'd be most grateful! Thank you.

• Hi Rachael, I have just started a new role so not sure what the set up of my new school is. However, in my old school the set up was that we had an office manager, two admin and 1 receptionist. The receptionist would work term time only plus an additional two weeks which were usually a week in the Easter hols and one week in the Summer holidays as you say to catch up on things, file etc. I did find that this was enough but of course depends on how many office staff you will have etc. Hope this helps. If you have an email I can try and get hold of those JDs for you....Thanks Ema
  • In reply to Ema:

Hi Ema, that is very helpful, thank you.

We are starting small (46 children for 2020/21) and as primary only but we will be growing up to year 11 and have 150 children at capacity which will be in 2025. Therefore I have decided to combine admin and receptionist. I will be managing them to start with. I would love the job descriptions, thank you so much, I will send you a DM now.
  • In reply to Ema:

Ema, hi, the DM service is not as straight forward as I thought it would be so I just leave you my email address here: rachel.mascia@outlook.com

On another note - would you be interested to join an online meeting for school's HR? I'm about to organise a meeting of some motivated people to bounce off ideas and expand our network.

• Hello Rachel
    I work for a MAT in Oxfordshire and all our admin staff apart from (Bursars/SBMs) are on a term time plus X number of weeks contract. An average for this would be 38 weeks of term time plus 4 additional weeks 20 days.
  • In reply to Lucy:

Thanks, Lucy! That's great to know. We are opening in 2020 very small with 46 children and only primary for the first year of operation. The only office supply staff we will have is a secretary/receptionist. I was thinking as this person will be responsible for all admissions, as well as supporting with suppliers and recruitment I thought a non-term-time will be better. Thanks for your comment, we are discussing currently and still haven't decided.
    On another note: Would you be interested in joining a virtual HR networking group on the 25th of May at 4pm? I'm setting up a group of motivated HR professionals to bounce off ideas. Best wishes