HR in MATs - what's keeping you awake at night?

Hi everybody.

I'm soon to be facilitating an HR Round Table for School Leaders and  HR Professionals working in the Multi Academy Trust sector

I'm keen to be able to give the participants an accurate picture of the sort of HR issues that you are being asked to deal with during the Coronavirus pandemic. 

If you are happy to provide some input, please drop me a line at salisbury.hr@gmail.com

Thanks in advance for any help!

Graham

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

28 Apr, 2020 15:15

Hi Graham...

I'd rather we encourage community members to post their thoughts below ;)
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

28 Apr, 2020 15:15

In reply to Steve Bridger:

Good question, by the way.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thanks Steve: happy for any responses to be posted below!
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

28 Apr, 2020 15:51

In reply to Graham Salisbury:

Thanks, Graham... hope you're well.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

All well here thanks Steve, and hope the same applies to you!

It will be interesting to read any responses here, as I suspect that there will be some common themes especially in the MAT sector. Hopefully the knowledge sharing will be helpful

Stay safe!

Graham
  • I work in a school but not a MAT - but if it's helpful, my insomnia is currently being driven by how on earth we will be able to manage the return of staff and pupils to school, even in a phased manner, while social distancing is still needed. Moving people around site, delivering lessons, eating lunch, playing sports, music, etc - all just needs careful thinking through. Everyone (almost) wants to be back in school again - but our responsibility for the health and safety of everyone involved will be extremely challenging.

At the same time, (and without being overly negative) I think there will be a rise in mental health issues beyond the current pandemic - for students and staff, so we need to plan to support and proactively deal with the issues that are likely to arise.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Hi Nina and thanks for the response, which is incredibly helpful and just the sort of information I was hoping for!

Graham
  • Hi Graham,

My current issue is how to deal with Exam Invigilators, as we are unsure whether to pay them or not.

We are continuing to pay casuals who had a regular pattern of work and would have continued to provide their services had schools not been closed. In reality I suspect many are not really casual, but that is another issue.

The latest I have considered with regard to exam invigilators is at 11.2 in the attached, which could apply but won't give a true picture of earnings. I suspect many have returned to schools year in year out, although there is no guarantee they would have been needed or available this year in normal circumstances. Any thoughts will be welcome.

www.gov.uk/.../guidance-for-schools-about-temporarily-closing

The other issue is whether staff funded by private income e.g. wraparound care will be eligible for furlough. We think so based on the guidance, but no guarantees. We think as a MAT we need to submit a coordinated application so currently trying to collate details.

Kind regards,

Melissa.
  • In reply to Melissa:

Hi Melissa

We have taken the decision not to pay exam invigilators as we hadn't agreed any work with them. WAC staff we have furloughed as they are paid from private income, not GAG. Hope that offers some reassurance that others are facing the same head-scratching decisions!

Janet
  • In reply to Graham Salisbury:

Hi Graham

As Nina, my main concern is around returning to school and all the logistics that involves - how do students maintain social distancing on the bus for example? How do you keep children 2m apart in a primary school?

Our staff have been incredible in providing online lessons for students, whilst some have been on a rota to support those students still attending. We have been able to be flexible with those staff who have clinically vulnerable (extremely or otherwise) partners or family members so that they can work from home. As schools reopen, there is going to need to be conversations around that no longer being the case and I can see that will cause quite a lot of anxiety and concern. Provision of PPE will assist in calming nerves, but availability is likely to be an issue.

I also worry about what the requirement may be for schools to remain open over the summer holidays. Teachers are understandably concerned that Y10 and 12 will have missed out on quite a bit of teaching - will schools be expected to be open for those students to catch up? How will that impact on staff well-being running into the longest term of the academic year?

The closure of schools was to protect public health and I am concerned that the re-opening of schools is not. Schools need to be given sufficient time to consider all the ramifications for re-opening and be able to re-open in a way that accommodates their own particular circumstances.
  • In reply to Janet:

Hi Janet and thanks for your very helpful post and insight!

I think that in particular your comment that "the closure of schools was to protect public health and … the re-opening of schools is not" potentially extends to much of the re-entry process!

Graham
  • In reply to Melissa:

Hi Melissa, and thanks for the very useful response! It clearly reveals that there's a lot of detail that still needs addressing !

Graham
  • In reply to Janet:

Hi Janet,

Thank you for this. It is reassuring to knwo that we are all finding our way in these unprecedented times!

Melissa.