PGCE and QTS status

Hi, we are recruiting for teachers to start in September and have received an application from a candidate who currently works ex UK and obtained his PGCE via distance Learning through Sunderland University 2 years ago.

I am not sure whether this qualifies him to work as a teacher in the UK as he has never taught here only in the country he resides.  

I need to understand whether the PGCE does provide QTS status and if not how can we organise for him to be assessed to QTS and what the cost /process is likely to be.  

Many thanks

• Your candidate will have QTS and should be able to provide a certificate or letter confirming this. What country are you in? Different countries have different regulations so would advise that you research your Department for Education or similar.
  • In reply to Sarah Trueman:

It's not my usual stamping ground, but I'm fairly sure that QTS *doesn't necessarily* come with PGCE, although most PGCE courses do include it. But a distance learning one would have needed I think to have organised and got signed off the necessary teaching practice for QTS, so it's best to check with the awarding body if in any doubt. More here eg
    blog.unitedteaching.org.uk/pgce-and-qts-whats-the-difference