Restructure amid Covid-19!

Hi,

I am in the consultation period of a restructure at one of our schools.  The plan was to have a new structure in place for September and redundancies to be made by the end of the summer term too. Consultation finishes next Friday.  In light of schools closing tomorrow to a lot of it's staff (although I appreciate not all), can anyone give any guidance as to what a "reasonable" approach would be in terms of this restructure.  Do we pause the restructure until we are back up and running as normal (could be months and may have to make more reductions if this is the case) or do we continue by holding virtual interviews and staff meetings etc?  The Unions are obviously asking for it to be paused....

Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Many thanks in advance

Lynsey

• Personally I would do it by skype/Zoom etc and take the risks around it being deemed unfair.

I don't think we can afford the world to sop entirely for 6 months
  • Welcome to the "Community" Lynsey. A difficult issue for you to introduce yourself with.

I think the only answer to this has to be that if there are factors within the remaining week of consultation that make "face to face" individual meetings essential, even if carried out on seating separated by two meters, then continue them that way. The obligatory school closure (as I understand it) requires a cessation of educational functions requiring children and teachers to congregate, not the physical closure of the school premises to access for other administrative purposes.

If the remaining consultation can, however, be continued at a distance then clearly it should be arranged that way and the rest of the process of reorganisation continued in whatever way it can be conducted most practically and safely, given the guidelines and restrictions now in place.

The Union position is predictable, and understandable in the circumstances, as it extends employment and payments during the closures, however that fails to take account of the deeper cuts that might then be needed, that you refer to, creating even more job-losses. It also ignores the cruel stress of the whole body of employees then sitting out not only the medical (and sociological) chaos currently predicted, but doing so wondering if they will have a "reorganised" job when it is all over.

A difficult and unpleasant situation for all concerned, but one made no better, and very possibly made much worse, by unnecessary delay IF the fairness and balance of the process is not affected by a revised approach; there being no pre-set format for consultation meetings that presumes they need be held with all concerned present in one place, such as the ACAS Code presupposes when considering Disciplinary or Capability matters.

P

• Thanks both- that’s helpful. Think we will extend the ‘consultation period’ to show willing and ensure the consultation is meaningful despite our circumstances, and then try to be creative about how we continue this going forwards.

Crazy times....
  • I think you equally need to proceed with caution because the government have made it clear that schools will continue to receive their budgets unaffected by the current outbreak so still taking action could be looked upon unfavorably.

I think you need to be 100% on your business reasons for proceeding and that there is some form of significant business reason to proceed in these circumstances and what the negative impact on school and children would be if you did pause as being suggested by the unions.
  • In reply to Samantha:

The Governments stance (I believe) is to avoid redundancies not to avoid the correct structures being put in place to run businesses (or schools) Therefore I would be comfortable with going ahead with a restructure if it were the right thing to do (and if not why are you doing it anyway) but that might mean you get to the stage of redundancies and instead place those on furlough till the end of the crisis.

Those businesses (and non profits/public sector) that think about the size and shape they need to be after this and do something about it will be far better placed to emerge and succeed