Apprenticeship Levy in a MAT

Hi all,

I have just joined a MAT (no previous education sector experience) and I need to pull together an apprenticeship levy policy and procedures as the MAT hasn’t currently used any of the levy and doesn’t currently have a plan for the future in our recruitment and development. 

I have search the discussion forum and have seen this question has been asked a couple of years ago and wondered if any of you who have now implemented your apprenticeships would be able to share any information on how you did this, the best way it has worked for you e.g. how have you split the funds, per school, or kept in the Trust to allocate depending on recruitment/upskilling requirements.

Any help, hints or tips would be greatly received.

Thanks in advance,

Kerry

• Hi Kerry,

We manage our pot as a Trust, then split and recharge as appropriate from our schools.

The levy can be used purely for upskilling for existing staff. Our organisation was paying in a significant amount to the levy and not using it. If you don't use it, you lose it!

If they are not keen on recruiting new apprentices, then use the money to upskill! This could be leadership and management training, it could be the L3 TA course, it could be business admin.

There are huge benefits however to recruiting apprentices new to the organisation, as you train your own and benefit from their skills. We currently have IT apprentices, sports coaches to support our teachers with PE, TAs and business admin to support in our Trust as a float across the schools.

It is working out really well for us, the government also gift £1000 to an organisation for anyone recruited under 18.

Happy to send through our apprenticeship agreement and model policy if you let me know your email?

Karys
  • In reply to Karys Eagle:

Many thanks Karys - I have sent you a message with my email :)
  • In reply to Karys Eagle:

Hi Karys,

I know this is an old post, but I have just been searching for some information on how we can best use our apprenticeship levy. If you are happy to share any information, and let me know how effective the policy has been, I will be very grateful.

Kind regards,

Melissa.