Investigations involving students

Hi all,

I am about to conduct an investigation into the conduct of a teacher and taking statements from students (16-18 yrs old) will be necessary for this. We suspect that the teacher (who is now off sick) may have influenced students to complain about another member of staff.  Students may have  information to contribute as witnesses to misconduct. This is not anything criminal and is fairly low level. Does anyone have advice on how to approach this? I am conscious that this puts students in a difficult position. How much should they know about the context of the investigation? What are their rights as non-employees? Does anyone have any experience of this that they would be able to share so that I handle this in the least disruptive way?

Thanks in advance!!

• We have had something similar in the past and keep the conversation with students very simple and from a view point of 'we need to understand the situation - in your own words can you describe …….'. 'We need to understand what happened from your point of view'. Reassure them that they are not getting anyone in trouble just that the information is needed for your records/understanding.