Teacher - potential dismissal within probationary and risk query

Hi

I hope someone can help here.  I have been asked by my CEO to advise on the risk of dismissing a member of our teaching staff who is still in their probationary period.  The case is complicated and does involve potential discrimination.  The staff member joined the school in June 2019.  On her start date she told us she was pregnant - this was fine, we carried out a risk assessment and followed our usual maternity care process.  Unfortunately she had to take quite a lot of absences between start date and the end of term in July due to pregnancy illnesses - I believe she did not complete a full week.  Again this was managed with other teaching staff covering where possible.  Unfortunately, each time she did not follow the correct absence procedures, which are important to ensure cover can be set up urgently in the morning so students aren't without a teacher.  She would email in or text, but after the required time.  Her baby was born in August and she returned to work on 18th Nov.  Before she returned she asked for facilities to express and store milk, which we set up for her in a private room in HR with an available fridge.  But this was not used, and despite enquiries as to whether she still needed this.  She then began having sick days - again not following correct absence line procedures - and disappearing off site without telling her line manager and without signing in or out on occasion.  A meeting was set up to discuss the concerns with her in relation to her probationary period - and this is where there is a problem.  The Head teacher wanted the mtg to be held urgently and, despite HR advice, did not give adequate notice or the right to be accompanied.  The invite went out on a Friday for a Monday meeting!  Additionally, she had sent a confidential email to HR claiming that she believed she may have post natal depression (at the time this had not been confirmed by a doctor); whilst she had not given express permission to share this info at the time, I did advise the Head that there could be a potential discrimination issue because the staff member had shared confidential information with HR and I was obliged to warn the Head of this.  Staff member did not attend the mtg and subsequently went off sick - a fit note arrived stating post natal depression.  She has been off sick until this week.  She submitted a grievance and I have attempted to arrange a meeting with her to discuss the grievance, following policy, but also being mindful and sensitive - she has not engaged with me until Monday this week, stating she intended returning to work this week and agreeing to a RTW mtg with me and her line manager.  We met on Tuesday with an agreement she would return on Weds.  However, she did not arrive for work on Weds, emailing me mid morning - still not following the absence procedure.  She said she has contacted her GP for a further fit note but I don't know for how long, assuming it will be for PND.  The CEO and Head now want to know if they can dismiss, because the staff member has not worked a full week since starting and has no connection with the students or work colleagues.  She is still in her probation period until April.  Any urgent advice would be very welcome.

• Hi Rosemary

Dismissal because of poor attendance caused by pregnancy-related illnesses would be a very bad idea, as would dismissal arising from post natal depression *if* this illness turned out to count as an Equality Act disability. Perhaps not at this stage, but it's a fairly big risk in the circumstances maybe.

You mention hardly anything about her actual competence as a teacher - is this acceptable / how has it been evaluated? - eg has someone observed her lessons etc? If there's evidence of lack of competence then you might be far better to use that as the reason for dismissal. If there's none, then collect some pronto and if it's not up to scratch then might be better to extend probation? - you have up to two years continuous employment to dismiss if needs be on pure unsuitability grounds, provided there's nothing contractual about not being able to extend probationary period.

Far better to be resolute and dismiss whilst there's an opportunity than to get lumbered with a bad employee, but perhaps best to pick a different moment?
  • In reply to David:

Hi David,

Many thanks for your response. And thank you for confirming my own advice here regarding a high risk of a discrimination claim if they dismiss now. Certainly there is no discrimination risk regarding the pregnancy time period because we followed correct process and supported her fully. Regarding her performance - this is extremely difficult to monitor because she has not actually worked a full week since starting with us. As is our usual practice with new teachers, she would have been observed and supported in the classroom during her probationary period, but her attendance has been so spasmodic it's been impossible to monitor fully. Indeed, there have been no concerns raised - if there were any concerns, I would have expected these to be raised before now. Should anything come to light now, I'd be very reluctant to support because the delay in raising a concern now about any concerns noted either back in the summer, or in the couple of weeks in November would certainly not look genuine. I have advised extending the probation period and this would be due to the fact the school have not had enough opportunity to observe her performance. It appears the CEO would like to dismiss precisely due to her high level of absence and not following absence procedures - I still believe this is risky because it could easily be linked to her medical condition and deemed unfair. I'm guessing you would agree with me? Many thanks for any further advice or comments.
  • In reply to Rosemary:

Hi Rosemary,

As you surmise, think it would be risky almost to the point of folly to dismiss now for these pregnancy related illness / poor attendance reasons.

If it’s contractually possible to extend probation, would think it far better to do just that and be careful to generate and preserve potential evidence such that it’s possible clearly to demonstrate that any future dismissal for failing to satisfy probation isn’t arising from her absences during her pregnancy,

Even in one worst case scenario, if she continues to have a very poor attendance as a result of depression and that condition might amount to a protected characteristic (obviously involve OH on that score) then it’s ultimately possible fairly to dismiss on capability grounds. Similarly, if she continues to ignore absence reporting etc rules then keep on with documented staged warnings etc.

So, think you can rightly advise your CEO ( in writing to protect yourself if CEO chooses to ignore your advice) that not dismissing right now won’t at all prevent dismissing if needs be in the relatively near future and would be very much less risky for the organisation.
  • Hi Rosemary, I assume that you are in an academy and have some follow up questions. Does the Trust follow national terms and conditions?
    Where is this teacher in terms of career stage?
  • In reply to Fiona Maclachlan-Morris:

Hi Fiona, yes we are a multi Academy trust. The staff member is fully qualified. We follow national T&C in general, but have our own salary ranges and do not have a collective agreement. I am keen to meet and resolve her grievance so we can move forwards, and extending the probationary period will need to be put in place because the school have not been able to assess her performance.
  • Just to expand on David's excellent summary of the position, I'd add a couple of points:

1. To the CEO's direct question, yes, of course you *can* dismiss, but doing so is not without its risks and the potential impact is significant. This is one of those situations when I would encourage the senior team to do a cost-benefit analysis because I'm sympathetic to their desire to get shot of an uncooperative and erratic employee (I can imagine that persistently ignoring the sickness absence reporting procedures and not making use of the nursing space specifically set aside for her are symptomatic of a general attitude). As I'm often heard to say, it really just depends on how much money you're prepared to throw at her to go away.

2. Her probation period is most likely a red herring unless you have some contractual provisions that make it important.

My advice to the CEO in this case would be to either (1) wind back his frustration and take her down a formal capability route with respect to her absence; or (2) find a spare ten thousand quid in the budget to make her go away quietly.