Continuous Service

If a member of staff joined in June 2019, do you class up to 31st Aug 2019 as 1 years service and up to date she would be in her 2nd year of service for statutory purposes, even though shes been with us for less than a year? Could anyone clarify please

• In reply to Emma:

Hi emma so if my member joined 1st sept 2019 would you use her sick pay entitlement as 25 days full pay, or take it from april which is over 4 months and pay 25 days full and 50 days half pay
  • A year is a year whether or not they are term workers.
  • Teacher or support? Both operate very different sick pay schemes
  • Hi Karen, if the employee commenced on 1 September 2019 they would be in their second year of service on 1 April 2020. If they commenced a period of sickness after this date it would be the 50 full 50 half entitlement. If they commenced a period of absence before 1 April and remained off, they would have to return to work to trigger second year entitlements. Hope this makes sense!
  • In reply to Emma:

Hi emma im slowly getting my head round this, so even though she started in sept 19, she went off sick in october 19, so for sickess purposes, she would be paid 25 days full and 50 days half , as even though she only started with us for a month, the date you start at is april, so this makes it 6 months to october, am i getting this yet
  • Hi Karen, assuming she’s a teacher covered by burgundy book t&c’s, she’s basically in her first year of service (for sick pay purposes only) from 1st September 19 until 31 March 20, then her second year of service 1 April 20 until 31 March 21. So her sickness in October would be year 1 entitlements i.e. 25 days full pay and then the 50 half when she reaches 4 months service (January 20).
  • In reply to Emma:

That makes sense emma, she has been a teacher since 2017 so would this also count as continuous service from another school? Also if she was off also in january would the half days kick in if her absence is all related? She cane back for a few days in november on a phased return and went off again, then cane back on another phased return in january and then was off again and she seams to think shes entitled to half pay
  • If you’ve accepted her continuous service for other purposes then you would for sick pay purposes too, the Burgundy Book refers to aggregated teaching service counting meaning she could be in her third or fourth year, but it specifies in LA schools so if you’re not an LA school this might be different. If her service is only 1 September 19 then I think she is entitled to the half pay for her current absence even if she has returned periodically and even if all related
  • In reply to Emma:

Hi Laura, we do accept continuous service, but how do you find out about her previous service? Can I give you the dates she was off and see how you would pay: off 16/9/19 - 4/11/19, back on phased return until 13/11/19 then went off sick again until 29/11/19. Back on phased return 2/12/19 to 20/12/19 (then off for school holidays). Came back to work 6/1/20 to 13/1/20, then off 14-17/1/20. Back to work 20-24/1/20 then off again 27-31/1/20. I would really appreciate if you could help me on this one