SSP/Occupational pay

Can I ask your advice on SSP/Occupational pay - I know SSP isnt paid until the fourth day, is this the same for occupational pay? So for example say a member is entitled to two months full pay and two months half pay - if they went off sick on a Monday - would you pay them nothing at all for three days then SSP/Occupational pay kicks in on the fourth day? Or does SSP kick in fourth day and occupational pay starts as soon as  they are off? I cant seam to find the answer anywhere so id be interested to find out what others do in this scenario, many thanks

• Occupational sick pay is entirely a contractual arrangement so it’s down to you. Most people pay it from day one. Although sone do pay in line with the three waiting days as an absence control method.
  • In reply to Keith:

So really its at the schools discretion? , and the two months full pay that they get does this include ssp? and half pay is plus ssp? Is that correct
  • In reply to Karen:

Are you on national conditions or Academy contracts? It will depend on how much discretion you have and what is written in your contracts.

Full OSP includes SSP otherwise they would be better off. Most people half sick pay includes SSP
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi keith were on national conditions, our contracts are basic and dont really state this, just the entitlement depending on service , ive recently took this over but we pay half pay plus ssp
  • In reply to Karen:

In that case you just need to follow what the national conditions state - if it just says half pay, then that would normally start from day 1 unless it specifically states that it isn't paid for the first 3 days
  • Hi,
    It sounds like you are working to 'green book' terms and conditions, you will need to reflect back on your contracts and the green book for a definite answer. If it is terms and conditions liked to the green book then occupational sick pay (OSP) is paid from day one of the absence until the person returns or they exhaust their OSP entitlement.