Flexible working in schools HR - help needed!

Hello everyone, 

I am working at DfE on the flexible working in schools programme and we would really appreciate insight from people already working in HR in schools and academies. If anyone here is willing to be a part of a group that gets involved in proper user research (and gets paid for UR sessions) please can you email me on emma.mulqueeny@digital.education.gov.uk

Otherwise I hope you don’t mind if I occasionally ask questions of this group?

Have lovely Fridays and a great weekend

Emma

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

7 Feb, 2020 08:43

Hi Everyone - I know Emma and am supportive of this new programme of work. I know we have a good number of HR peeps here who work in maintained schools or academy trusts. Feel free to get in touch with Emma... but also post below with any particular insights and experiences you wish to share.
  • Hi Emma

I haven't read the related document yet but my two main observations from working in schools for 3 years now are:

1) directed and PPA time make it a nightmare to manage teachers (particularly in primary where they are assigned to one class) who work reduced daily hours - 0.9xx ftes, with odd minutes here and there to plan or that due to finishing at 2.55pm they cannot attend the weekly team meetings etc. Teachers T&Cs tend to be only equipped for those who work less days rather than reduced daily hours.

2) support staff, particularly TAs, can be difficult to manage as the need for the roles are centered around pupil requirements - we can't always recruit for job shares due to the small number of hours involved, and if the pupil leaves or their funding reduces, we can be faced with a possible redundancy situations (where payouts are a lot higher than statutory) if we no longer need the TA for the agreed reduced/flexible hours.
  • Thanks Emma!

Hi all - I'm working with Emma at the DfE. As part of our work on Flexible Working we'd love to have some initial conversations with school HR people.

If you have 30mins to spare over the next week or so can you get in touch with Emma of me (andrew.rixon@digital.education.gov.uk)?

All support is really appreciated.

Have a good weekend when it comes.

Andrew