Occupational Heath Clearances for new starters

I'm seeking arguments for and against this requirement in recruitment.

I am finding they no longer represent any value. Of late I have experienced two incidents where guidance and advice should have been highlighted to help us support a new starter.   Both occasions OH cleared the individuals, but within a few weeks they divulged historical health concerns which then came to impact on their employment. 

I'm just wondering what most people do in Academies sector?

Many thanks

Jennie

• Hi Jennie

I'm not sure that they no longer have any value. If harm befell to someone because of a condition they had concealed, you would be able to defend a personal injury claim. You might also be able to terminate their employment for dishonesty in completing their OH forms.
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

I hadn't considered the defending an injury. However we do also do a staff information form annually which asks for declaration of any relevnt health concerns. I believe this would suffice?

I have dismissed in passed organisations for new recruits misrepresenting information to OH that become problematic.

It seems that more recently I am getting bland OH approval, and never any recommendations for adaptations etc. One of our Academies does them for each appointment, the other doesn't and Im tending to favour the latter.

In one case, within a few weeks a new starter approached me (prompted by questions on the staff information form) to say they had a medical condition they thought it was resolved. OH argued it was resolved and likelihood was it wouldn't impact and I didn't need to know. In this case I was better relying on the staff information form, I got forewarning from the individual directly, where we put in adjustments, but after a few months became very poorly, and ended up resigning.
  • In reply to Jennie :

It sounds as if the problem is your OH provider rather than the concept of screening new starters. I would try discussing the issue with them. They seem to have their own idea of what you need to know and it is not the same as yours or your staff's. Even if you decide to stop pre-employment screening, you need to have an OH service you can count on - there are situations where reliable OH advice is irreplaceable.

• Totally agree that the vast majority of the time it’s a tick box exercise and not wise spending of public money.

We drafted a new ‘health check form’ of which all new starters complete. If something on the form requires further attention, we send it to OH. Otherwise, it remains in the personnel file.

It’s due diligence to carry on with the form filling, but use discretion and common sense as to what ones you send to OH.
  • In reply to Sasha:

Sasha so you are almost "triaging"?

I find OH service reasonable when its a specific referral and I am able to specify the key questions and leave no room for interpretation. Its the fact OH seem to be making a judgement on what information is not relevant for us to be informed about on the new starter clearances.
  • In reply to Jennie :

We have no medical background but if someone’s new starter health check form has nothing on it in terms of sickness absence concerns/disabilities/medical conditions etc there is little point sending it off.

Agree they are more useful in terms of specific referrals
  • As a former headteacher we never did OH as standard for new starters but instead new staff (& all staff annually) had to complete a detailed medical questionnaire which could then be followed up if necessary. Don’t forget also that you should be using a Probationary Period to iron out and support any emerging health issuing and for teachers their is guidance in the Burgundy Book about fitness to teach.