Repeat DBS checks

Hello all

I'm looking for some advice on implementing repeat DBS checking, ideally would like to insist upon subscription to the update service but can employers say this is mandatory? 

Has anyone done this before and does anyone have a policy to share? Tips & advice welcome.

Thanks in advance!

• Is this for the employer to sign up to the update service or employees? I think the update service can only be used for standard and enhanced checks and not the basic one which is the one employees can do themselves.

I don't think employees can do standard or enhanced checks themselves any more - it has to be the employer requesting and paying for this. I can't see any reason why the employer couldn't sign up though
  • In reply to Teresa:

It's for employee's to sign up so that repeat checks can be conducted within a defined period. Rather than doing a new check each time it would be ideal to have sign up to the update service as mandatory.
  • In reply to Leah Wilkes:

Ah, i'm with you. I can't see any reason why you couldn't make it mandatory for new employees assuming you would reimburse them for the fee. To make it compulsory for existing employers, it would really be a contractual change so you would need to follow the process for that. You would also need to decide what you do if someone doesn't renew and give the employer their permission to access it.