School cleaners

Can anyone tell me what weeks cleaners work? If they are paid 39 weeks, would you presume this is including inset days or a week in the holidays if it is not stated on a contract?

• Can anyone tell me how much they pay cleaners for extra hours outside there contracted hours, do you pay the flat hourly rate or do you pay additional

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

13 Dec, 2019 07:40

Karen... welcome to the Community. I've 'merged' your two related posts into one thread.
  • Hi Karen

The typical academic year is 38 week (but can vary for schools not following STPCD, so 39 would include an additional week. This is often used for SD days, but others may use it for holiday deep clean.

Kind regards

Penny
  • In reply to Karen:

Hi Karen

It depends on what their contract / overtime policy says. Our cleaners (on average) work 15 hours per week, and for additional hours would be paid their usual rate until such time as they exceed 40 hours (Sundays and Bank Holidays would automatically be paid at a higher rate).
  • Usually it's a flat hourly rate for overtime/extra hours
  • Usually it's a flat hourly rate for overtime /extra hours
  • In reply to Penelope Walshe:

Sorry what are sd days
  • In reply to Karen:

Sorry Karen.  Staff Development days

• As others have stated it will come down to what the contract states. But do your support staff contracts incorporate the Green Book (national terms and conditions)? If so the overtime rates that are stated therein may apply.

There is new guidance around term time only working that has been published as an appendix to the Green Book.
  • I think it should be specified in the contract. But in general, I think it's easier to find some cleaning devices. I'm looking for them myself, and if anyone knows anything about them, then tell me!
  • I think it should be specified in the contract. But in general, I think it's easier to find some cleaning devices. I'm looking for them myself, and if anyone knows anything about them, then tell me!
  • If they work 5 days a week then the standard for TTO is 39 weeks.
    Then you’ll need to pay them holiday on top - 5.6 weeks depending on their entitlement - usually 21 days BH 2 statutory days.

If they work 4 or less days a week, they’ll need to be paid an additional sum - usually equivalent to 1 of their weeks, to cover this. So 39 1 week inset holiday.