Phased return in schools

Hi, 

I have recently joined at MAT that adheres to the Green Book for support staff. I understand that during a phased return to work staff continue to be paid full pay despite reduced hours. 

Des anybody know where this practice is documented as I have been unable to find anything. 

Many thanks in advance for any guidance. 

• I'm not sure that it appears in the green book but it is in the guidance from Acas. I think the most important thing is to agree the length of time and amended duties. Generally ours run from 4 - 6 weeks but can vary dependent on circumstances. I also meet with the employee each week to review progress and make any further adjustments.
  • Hi Melissa

The employee doesn't automatically remain on full pay (unless this is in your T&Cs) - they shouldn't be worse off by the phased return than if they remained sick e.g. if an employee is on half pay and returns for 1 hour a day the would be paid half day, however, if the 1 hour increases to 6 hours then they would be paid for the hours worked as this would be more than half pay.

This is general practice across most sectors and not specific to the green book, however, your policy should detail this as it would have either TUPE'd over from the LA at the time of conversion or be in an updated policy since becoming a MAT.
  • It should be in your sickness management policy. Ours states 4 weeks phased return on full pay, with the possibility of extending to 6 weeks. After that any time not worked is paid as sick pay. Obviously if the process is managed correctly this shouldn't be for too long as you would be looking at final stage meeting if they aren't fit to carry out the job and you can't make permanent adjustments
  • Thank you all.