Guidelines on poster hanging / flyers

Morning all, 

I have had a query from a student requesting that we have a policy created on the use of posters and flyers within the University. There is a poster that  the student has came across within one of the schools that has caused offence to them because the poster promotes a non-affiliated company to which was known to be an illegal pyramid scheme.  It has highlighted that we don't have any guidance or procedure in place on monitoring this type of activity and I wondered if anyone has any information/guidance/advice on how they manage and tackle issues of this nature? 

Thanks in advance

• Hi Lisa

I wouldn't draw up a policy on this. Handle this complaint by the student as you would any other complaint. You really don't need policies for everything and will make yourself look hopelessly bureaucratic if you introduce a policy for such a narrow subject area as the content of posters or flyers on notice boards. Perhaps you could put up a small notice on the board saying that notices deemed by X to be offensive will be removed, X being some suitable individual.

I'm boggling somewhat that the complainant was offended by the poster. I could understand someone reporting that the poster was inappropriate because of the connection to illegality, but wonder how this person is ever able to use social media, watch television or just walk down the road with their eyes open if this caused "offence".

offence noun (CRIME); 1. an illegal act, a crime; 2. upset and hurt or annoyed feelings, often because someone has been rude or shown no respect