Employment Tribunal Insurance

I was just wondering whether other trusts have tribunal insurance or whether you save up a "war chest" or just pay lawyers as needed?

Any advice would be appreciated. 

• Hi Orlagh,

My organisation has insurance with Irwell.

Thanks
  • Hi Orlagh,

I have worked in organisations that have ET insurance and I've also worked for an employment law firm (just to give a bit of context to my slightly biased opinion!)

I my experience it depends on how much say you want to have in how the ET claim is handled. Most insurance firms will be very prescriptive about the course of action they want you to take and will want a very high threshold of prospects of success before they will defend it rather than settle it. This can be quite frustrating when you feel its a vexatious claim or are suitably aggrieved that you would defend it to the death :) . Also, contacting them can be a bit call-centre ish. Having reassurance that the insurance is in place though can be very comforting.

Employment law firms can be pricey but a really good one will give you a range of options and a great deal of reassurance at every stage.

It really depends on how often you think you might need to call on either one of them but given the choice I'd save my pennies and take the control freak option of a friendly local employment lawyer.

Victoria