What's it like working in HR in the education sector?

Hi guys 

Recently I've been offered a position to work as a HR Coordinator in a Private Sector Nursery. I'm going to be starting the position in two weeks time. I have experience working in an office based environment but I don't have experience working in HR. I just wanted to know what it's like working in the HR division? What are the best advice you can give me? Also, I wanted to know what I could do to prepare for the role? Few months ago I completed my masters programme in International Human Resource Management (CIPD Level 7 accredited) and will it help me with the new position?  

Thanks 

Ruhel 

• HR in Education sometimes feels quite a unique setting and when you network with colleagues from 'outside' there can be some subtle differences. However people are people and business is business and each present their own set of challenges. I graduated last year with a Level 7 (HRM) and whilst my knowledge on International HR is limited I think you will have covered lots of the fundamentals that will give you an excellent head-start. Good luck in your new role and keep visiting the forum - excellent advice always.
  • In reply to Sarah Trueman:

Thanks Sarah. I found it very useful.
  • From someone currently working in education and HR and having done so for some years, my advice would be to accept the challenges, learn as much as you can from the experience and don't take things personally. Always make the safeguarding of the children and young people you will be working with your priority. In preparation read current versions of Keeping Children Safe in Education and Guidance for Safer Working Practice for adults working with children and young people in education and know them like the back of your hand or at the very least know where to find them easily.
    Good luck in your new role Ruhel.
  • In reply to Wendy Perry:

Thanks a lot Wendy. Really appreciate it.
  • Hi Rahuel, I agree with other posters, it is a unique environment but I really enjoy it and the challenges. No day is the same :-)

Enjoy your new role and embrace all the learning
  • In reply to Rachael:

apologies for the misspelling Ruhel !