Role of workplace union rep

Hi All

We are an independent school, and have decided to leave the Teachers' Pension Scheme due to the significant hike in employers' contribution which the governors have agreed is not sustainable for the business.  We have gone through a very thorough consultation process with affected staff, and the unions have been involved, providing external reps to liaise with staff and management.   

We are now at an appeal stage, and have a handful of staff who have elected to appeal against the decision of the governors.  They have all put forward identical appeal letters which we presume have been supplied by the union.  We have given them the option to appeal individually, or as a group if they wish, and they have chosen the latter.  The external union rep will be in attendance.

All of this is fine.  However, we have an internal staff union representative who is also one of the appellants, who we feel may be exceeding her brief in her efforts to stir up other colleagues, all of whom have made their individual decision whether or not to appeal during the appeal period, which is now closed.  

She is asking for as many staff as possible to attend the appeal hearing, which can't happen under our appeals procedure, which allows for the person(s) appealing, companion, the panel, and a notetaker only, not other staff to just come along.  We feel she is possibly exceeding her brief, in that she is no longer just representing the wishes of the members, but actively stirring matters up.  Is there any guidance anywhere of what the role of an internal staff uion rep should be?  That would be so helpful!

I suppose she could potentially arrange for each of the appellants to bring a companion, and witnesses can be called of course, but I think I am right in saying any witness has to have specific evidence not already under consideration to contribute?  Not just saying the same thing all over again?

Any advice?  Don't want to stifle her right to express views, but then again .....!

Many thanks

• She is not really exceeding her brief she is trying to represent her members against what she and probably many of them see as a harsh and unfair policy (not saying it is or isn't)

Your best bet is to have a meeting with her and the area official and agree how best to take this forward.
  • In reply to Keith:

This plan is likely too to be total anathema++ to the union generally, who will probably be most anxious jealously to guard the right of access to the TPS for all their members in all sectors of teaching.

And who can blame them?

Without knowing all the particular context, it wouldn't be in order to comment much further on the matter, save to reflect on the old adage of only getting monkeys if you pay peanuts and that if good teachers can still be in TPS membership at most places, many future replacements for those already employed at your school are highly unlikely to pick yours.
  • I'd probably say that she is working within the bounds to protect the union members rights. She is using the due process (your process) to put forward her members concerns.

Her role is to protect her members and try to win people over to her side of the argument, just as you do so for the employer will always represent the school's views and justify the school's decisions.
  • In reply to Mark Broomhead:

Yes - that's a fair point. Thank you Mark. I suppose I was just wanting to check whether there is any guidance anywhere about the general parameters for an internal union rep, but I am gathering from the responses so far that this is not the case. It's not a major problem, and we are not trying to stop her representing her members at all and have had several meetings with her and the external rep, just aware that she is making some staff feel uncomfortable with her very full on approach. I guess we will just have to live with it.

Lesley
  • In reply to David:

Thanks David. It's complicated, and we are far from the only school taking this course of action. As a small school without huge financial reserves, our priority has to be ensuring the future viability of the school and job security for staff. The increase in contributions is not sustainable for us year on year. We are looking at other ways to compensate staff, but which is within our control. It's a sorry state of affairs, imposed on schools with very little notice.