Exemption from EYF Curriculum

Hi, I have just started a role consulting an independent school in set-up stage opening in September 2020. It will be incorporated as a charitable trust and is a democratic model, primary and secondary. We are looking to finalise all documents and policies for the DfE Application end of September.

Now we don't want to follow the EYFC but start at 4 years age. Can anyone help me to understand how to get an exemption from the early years foundation stage curriculum.  Currently any child in education up to the age of 5 has to do the EYFC and be marked against the outcomes. Our first solution was to only take children at 5, but this makes things very complicated for admissions - either we say we only take from year 1 (age 5-6) but this isn't great for recruitment - most 'mainstream thinking' parents probably won't want to delay their children starting a year.  

I've now found that schools can apply for an exemption to the EYFS but from what I can tell, these exemptions seem to apply when the school is already established (i.e. have to ask parents, need to inform local authority etc).  Is it possible to get an exemption for a new independent school and if so, how do we document this in the application process?  Or do we have to apply after we get DfE school status?
For me this is an entirely new role I'm very excited about. Probably i will keep posting on here - this forum has already proven tremendously helpful!