Inset days and part time

Hi have tried to search this as a possible previous discussion to no avail, so appreciate some advice.

A teacher working .6 Tues/Weds/Thurs.  In this case I would expect them to come in for 3 (out of the 5) inset days and on these inset weeks work the Mon/Tues/Wed/Thurs.  Is this correct and if not, how do others deal with part time employees (who do not work the inset days) and the inset days.

Also if a part time worker (.6,3 days), is contracted to work on the Monday and is able to attend the inset days, does this mean they have to work 4 days during inset week?

Think I have got myself completely confused so if you can unravel this for me it would be great:) thanks

• Hi Sharon

Under the burgundy book, a teacher cannot be made to come in on their non working days for any reason, including inset days, meetings etc. If they agree to come in, it would be overtime. You will need to put provisions in place to ensure relevant training is provided on their working days if the do not come in.

We have started negotiating INSET days with p/timers in our contracts e.g. 3 days pw plus all 5 INSET days.

The second scenario depends on whether their contract states 38 weeks or 39 weeks. The former would be working all days school is open for children and the latter usually plus coming in on INSET days. However, it really does depend on the wording in the contract.
  • In reply to Kimberly:

Thanks Kimberly, all of our Teaching staff are 39 weeks so your idea of adding something to the contract makes sense. So if they work 3 days a week (not usually on a Monday) and they are asked to work 3 days plus all 5 inset days, does this mean they would have to work 4 days on the weeks the inset days fall, so the Monday plus the usual 3 days they work?
    And on this basis, if their working days do fall on an inset day (usually Monday) does this mean that on the inset weeks these employees also have to work 4 days?
    Many thanks
  • In reply to Sharon :

It may be easier to break it down into days - someone who works 39 weeks would work 195 days a year - 190 contact days and 5 inset days.

For someone working 3 days a week they would work 114 contact days a year (3/5 x 190) and then you can contract them to work x inset days.

You need to make sure their salary reflects any additional days.