TTO starters and leavers pay

I work for a MAT and I am currently reviewing all our policies and processes, and one thing that has come to light is the payment for July/August (or banked time) for TTO (support staff) starters and leavers part way through a year.

So salary is pro rated for TTO staff but paid in 12 equal monthly installments - effectively pay is banked throughout the year to ensure staff receive pay for the end of July and August even though these are non-working days.

However, we have a number of staff who start after September who have not banked enough pay to be paid for the whole of August.

Similarly, staff who leave partway through the year are not paid any additional banked hours they have worked and earned in the year.

I know the history behind this was school employees held national contracts and what one school didn't pay the next would pick and vice versa, however, what if staff are not going to a school?

An example of this is we had a TA who recently left at the beginning of July, who wasn't moving to a new school, and the difference in pay for her was £800 which is a lot of money.

Have any of you come across this and if so, have you done anything about it? I just feel like we're underpaying a number of people, and on the flip of that we are then overpaying their counterparts.